Start DC++ on system startup

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

ZeroBk

Start DC++ on system startup

Post by ZeroBk » 2004-12-18 09:41

I would like to see a simple feature that starts DC++ minimized in the background when Windows starts. I know I can do it myself by putting a shortcut in the autostart folder and make it run minimized in the properties of this shortcut, (which I've done), but I think it too complicated for most other (non-geek) users.
I am thinking about an option in the DC++settings that does the same thing, it would be good if the option was shown at the end of the installation as well.

This feature would hopefully lead to less people starting DC only to download a file and then closing it again when the download is finished. This would in turn lead to more files and slots available for others.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-12-18 09:56

Why should DC++ replicate a function that you can already do with Windows?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

ZeroBk

Post by ZeroBk » 2004-12-18 10:08

As I wrote:
I think it too complicated for most other (non-geek) users
Do you think this is such a strange request? Lots of other software do it.

I also want to add one thing I forgot in my initial posting.:
If would be good, if possible, if the DC startup (when autostarted) could have a really low process priority, so the users don't have wait alot before they can use their computer at startups.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-12-18 10:35

Many of these people have to work through port forwarding to get active. Compared to that, making a shortcut in the startup menu is trivial. This might be a good candidate for an FAQ, though.

ZeroBk

Post by ZeroBk » 2004-12-18 14:33

Many of these people have to work through port forwarding to get active. Compared to that, making a shortcut in the startup menu is trivial. This might be a good candidate for an FAQ, though.
Well, ask yourself(all of you), have you done it, and if not, would you do it if you just have to check one box during installation?

I have used DC for some years, but I made it autostart just some weeks ago. The reason was not that I didn't knew how to do it. The startup of DC still takes some time, not much, but it's still annoying sometimes, so I'd like it to run at a lower priority.

These port problems you mentioned is something that could be adressed with a simple Wizard during installation, just to simplify for newbies, but that's another thread.

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2004-12-18 14:52

ZeroBk wrote:would you do it if you just have to check one box during installation?
Personally, no I wouldn't. But I'm obsesive compulsive when it comes to stopping anything unnecessary from loading with windows. Still, some users might like it; as long as it was defaulted to off.
ZeroBk wrote:I have used DC for some years, but I made it autostart just some weeks ago. The reason was not that I didn't knew how to do it. The startup of DC still takes some time, not much, but it's still annoying sometimes, so I'd like it to run at a lower priority..
How much is "some time"? DC++ should take all of 5-20 seconds to load, depending on how much you're sharing. If not, something else is wrong.
ZeroBk wrote:These port problems you mentioned is something that could be adressed with a simple Wizard during installation, just to simplify for newbies, but that's another thread.
Eh, UPnP doesn't need a wizard and manual port forwarding couldn't be done using a globally applicable wizard; there are too many different hardware and software routing devices out there.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2004-12-18 16:10

Xan1977 wrote:How much is "some time"? DC++ should take all of 5-20 seconds to load, depending on how much you're sharing. If not, something else is wrong.
several minutes if I keep the dupe check enabled
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-12-18 17:40

ZeroBk wrote: Well, ask yourself(all of you), have you done it, and if not, would you do it if you just have to check one box during installation?
No, and.... no. Note how I said it would make for a good FAQ / help file entry, though.

LaCruz1

Post by LaCruz1 » 2004-12-19 03:43

I am also against an option like this. DC++ should be kept as small as possible and only really necessary function added. There are only few programmers (one?) and they should be able to concentrate on really important stuff.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-12-19 05:41

Sedulus wrote:
Xan1977 wrote:How much is "some time"? DC++ should take all of 5-20 seconds to load, depending on how much you're sharing. If not, something else is wrong.
several minutes if I keep the dupe check enabled
for me, somewhere between 20-30 minutes to load.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-12-19 11:35

Yes fusbar, with your enormous share I can actually understand that :)
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."