req: in search, group same file into treeview (plus sign)

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

thealliedhacker

req: in search, group same file into treeview (plus sign)

Post by thealliedhacker » 2004-12-07 02:14

When searching, results that represent the same file should all be gouped togather
into one item, and then the user can click the plus sign to the left to reveal all of the
individual results that compose that item. Double-clicking the item itself should
preferably download the file-lists of all of the file-holders and then download the
actual file from the fastest user.
~AlliedHackers~

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-12-07 04:22

DC++ doesn't know which user is fastest.. (search the forum and you will see hopelessly many feature-requests for that part).

For the search-grouping see the BCDC-implimentation.

Personly i find it awful, since it breaks folder/file sorting in the search-frame.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

DeathStalker77

Tree-Style Groupings

Post by DeathStalker77 » 2004-12-07 14:38

Initially I thought this might be a good alternative option to have, but then it occurred to me that it doesn't need to be added, because you can just SORT by the TTH value. No need to do extra work for something that's already effectively there.

The issue of "fastest user" has already been beaten to death - let it rest (in pieces).

--- DeathStalker

Wisp

Re: Tree-Style Groupings

Post by Wisp » 2004-12-08 13:33

When DC groups everything together to one item, what name should that item have? How should DC know what the 'normal' name for that item is?
I think it would be pretty usefull for searching 'indivudal' files like movies or ISO's, but for albums it's not a good solution

BigDil

Post by BigDil » 2004-12-08 14:36

I like this feature in BCDC++.
Wisp: You can choose any filename from the results. Whichever you consider "normal".
And I think it's useful for albums too, you can easily see which TTH is the most popular.

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2004-12-08 15:35

BigDil wrote:I like this feature in BCDC++.
Wisp: You can choose any filename from the results. Whichever you consider "normal".
How should DC know which is normal? If there are 50 identical files, and DC picks one with the wrong name, it's very confusing
And I think it's useful for albums too, you can easily see which TTH is the most popular.
It's very hard to see directory/file structures when everything is ordered in a treeview

Maybe an option in the search window called 'show results grouped by TTH' ?

Shroom

Post by Shroom » 2004-12-09 05:56

Wisp wrote:Maybe an option in the search window called 'show results grouped by TTH' ?
I agree. I really like the BCDC++ implementation, but I understand the problems involved (as pointed out earlier by ivulfusbar and Wisp). I think that the best solution would be to implement that (or similar) grouping while leaving the current one in. Then put a checkbox in the “upper status window� (in lack of better word) in the search frame, right by (or instead of) the “toggle search� one. Name the checkbox something like “grouped sorting�, and let the user choose / change between the two sorting mechanisms in real-time.

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2004-12-09 15:23

Shroom wrote:I agree. I really like the BCDC++ implementation, but I understand the problems involved (as pointed out earlier by ivulfusbar and Wisp). I think that the best solution would be to implement that (or similar) grouping while leaving the current one in. Then put a checkbox in the “upper status window� (in lack of better word) in the search frame, right by (or instead of) the “toggle search� one. Name the checkbox something like “grouped sorting�, and let the user choose / change between the two sorting mechanisms in real-time.
This would be the best way indeed, in addition you could have a checkbox in the settings window where you can specify the default setting for grouping (so you won't have to click the checkbox everytime in case you always use the group feature)

Cyborg

Post by Cyborg » 2004-12-17 19:48

Please add this! It would help alot when searhing for file with many matches.

LaCruz1

Post by LaCruz1 » 2004-12-19 07:54

Initially I thought this might be a good alternative option to have, but then it occurred to me that it doesn't need to be added, because you can just SORT by the TTH value. No need to do extra work for something that's already effectively there.
After a quick look I could not see, how one can sort the search box by TTH value.
Can anyone sched some light on that for me (FAQ or anything)?

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2004-12-19 08:16

Click on the TTH Root heading (the rightmost heading) with the left mouse button.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-12-19 15:22

You may need to scroll the search window's contents to the left to see the TTH header. =)