Toggling hashing?

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Royal-Knight

Toggling hashing?

Post by Royal-Knight » 2004-11-29 20:36

I checked around carefully, and I don't think this feature was mentioned before. Then again, there's a heckuva lot of posts about TTH out there, so I could have missed it, but here goes anyway.

I typically have shares that are usually about 80 gigs on DC++ (using v0.4034), serving all types of files, big and small. However, hashing seems to be taking an incredibly long amount of time. I can only hash at around 2 MB/sec (incredibly slow), mainly because of hardware limitations, but that's besides the point. I also like to rotate my shares around, moving stuff from "New Files" over to the "Archive", if you get my organizing scheme. So I have to hash pretty often. At 2MB/sec, it's quite annoying, but I understand the entire reason why so I don't need an explanation. Hashing, however, seems to cause a lot of CPU usage on my computer, regardless of the fact if it's "Low" or "Idle" priority. With DC++ on, watching videos becomes annoying and playing games is just plain frustrating. Also, if I haven't finished hashing files and I open up DC++, it dramatically increases the load time of DC++, usually adding one or even two minutes to it, when usually it takes all of five seconds.

Since it appears that there is a consensus among the DC++ developers to adamantly enforce the mandatory hashing of your files before sharing, do you think you can make a feature where you can actually PAUSE or STOP the hashing (and not share the files that haven't been hashed yet?) I'd rather let my computer hash my files overnight rather than when I'm trying to watch a video on my computer (making me feel like not even having DC++ on at all instead of sharing. :( )

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-11-29 22:21

You can always limit the hashing speed to 1 MB/s, which at least on my system wouldn't have any effect at all. Have you read the FAQ to see if you can fix your hardware problems to hash faster?

Royal-Knight

Post by Royal-Knight » 2004-12-03 03:05

Yes, I've read the FAQ, and there's nothing much there that will help me besides getting a new harddrive. Also, limiting hashing to 1 MB/s still lags my system to almost the same degree, except now it'll take twice as long.