filelist DL/praise /complaints

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

jack216

filelist DL/praise /complaints

Post by jack216 » 2004-11-28 07:25

firstly i would like to say, that there has been some extremely good new features(which i have been waiting for "years" ).
but i have my concerns regarding feature " auto download filelist" -
Perhaps i dont possess enough information about this feature.
But it feels like its taking too much bandwith.

here is a screenshot http://www.iwn.fi/~juimmone/filelist.jpg
as u may noticed, there are obvious reasons why im not so happy with this , basically this feature is eating 1-3 upload "slots" all the time from me.
(of course its possible that this feature has always existed, but now its only visible)

but these days. when the Hard disk space has increased alot, there for the amount of shared files /= filelist size is increasing aswell, perhaps slowly but still increasing. direction of development should be to make clients which are saving bandiwth much as possible , or least not to increase the amount of used bandwith.

so im asking, that if this feature (as i assume) cannot be removed, can it least to be modified, example disabled as a default.

im using 0.401 client at the moment, havent considered updating since there seems to be somekind of havoc / doubts regarding newer clients at the moment.

sincerely yours
jack216

[email protected]

PS:
if my post was in vain, due the lack of my technical skills/understanding regarding dc++ client, i apoligize, and if this subject has been discussed earlier in this board, i apoligize again ( i only checked few pages in this forum, to see if it was discussed earlier)

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-11-28 07:44

Why are you in so many hubs?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

-=Mr B=-

Post by -=Mr B=- » 2004-11-28 07:45

The traffic was earlyer used to spam hub wide with searches, now when a match is found it grabs the list, hoping to save on searches... so its give some, to lose some. Traffic that is.

For some (like me?) its a good feature, where as people getting random files only, might have less use for it.. i generaly handle spanned archives, meaning that if theres 1 search hit, there is likely to be from 25-a few 100 more hits, of the same user. Guys getting "random" stuff, like movies/games, might only save a search, or two, depending on exacly what they are getting, and then it might be a "waste" (guys getting mpeg's for a 2 cd svcd might suffer for example.. the filelist uppload takes more bandwidth then the search for one extra file - however, it still saves the hubsoft the passive searches bandwidth usage, and all the other users replying bandwidth.. )

Prolly someone will come along with a more 'sientific' response if you ask for it, but i think i coverd most important parts with my ramblings.. and offcourse, if you dont like the feature, tell your friends about it, and have a mutual agreement to shut it off.. it would leave your downloads off one and other a little faster aswell, perhaps... (since your nolonger upploading fileists all the time - aswell as UDP (searches) dosent stand still, waiting for a response, its a bit more bandwidth echonomical, but less 'safe')

Best of luck.
B!

jack216

Post by jack216 » 2004-11-28 07:57

Thank you for your reply, it was most satisfying.

and question " why im in so many hubs?"
well who knows, most offers to join some hub i deny, but due the time you accept offer or two, i hardly ever download anything, only upload (mostly ratio is 10:1).

yours
jack216

[email protected]

-=Mr B=- wrote:The traffic was earlyer used to spam hub wide with searches, now when a match is found it grabs the list, hoping to save on searches... so its give some, to lose some. Traffic that is.

For some (like me?) its a good feature, where as people getting random files only, might have less use for it.. i generaly handle spanned archives, meaning that if theres 1 search hit, there is likely to be from 25-a few 100 more hits, of the same user. Guys getting "random" stuff, like movies/games, might only save a search, or two, depending on exacly what they are getting, and then it might be a "waste" (guys getting mpeg's for a 2 cd svcd might suffer for example.. the filelist uppload takes more bandwidth then the search for one extra file - however, it still saves the hubsoft the passive searches bandwidth usage, and all the other users replying bandwidth.. )

Prolly someone will come along with a more 'sientific' response if you ask for it, but i think i coverd most important parts with my ramblings.. and offcourse, if you dont like the feature, tell your friends about it, and have a mutual agreement to shut it off.. it would leave your downloads off one and other a little faster aswell, perhaps... (since your nolonger upploading fileists all the time - aswell as UDP (searches) dosent stand still, waiting for a response, its a bit more bandwidth echonomical, but less 'safe')

Best of luck.
B!