Solution to the Hashing problem

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Lundis

Post by Lundis » 2004-10-31 16:35

This could be good for network shares cause you can run it on that computer.

Otherwise it's of no use at all, it will not make it faster.

And I really don't like that small files keep spreading all around the drives, it's like the annoying thumbs.db file.

But most importantly, don't critizise hashing, it's just as fast as any other type of hashing that all other filesharing programs have, we need it and hashing is not a problem like you seem to think.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-10-31 19:41

I think the best part of this idea is being able to move files without needing to rehash them. That would allow files to be hashed as they are downloaded, admittedly one file doesn't really take too long to hash but all the little speed ups would be nice.

I agree that the spreading of little files everywhere like the thumbs.db would be annoying however it does have several advantages as pointed out, being able to hash on remote machines, two machines being able to share the same folder without both having to hash it, and ofcourse the moving thing.

I dont think an external program to do this is a good idea however, as most people will not bother hashing their shares.

Lundis

Post by Lundis » 2004-11-01 07:23

I thought of the moving of files, but it only applies to moving whole directories, not individual files.

And there wont be an external program, just another dc++ to hash them and store the little file.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-11-04 10:09

You could use NTFS streams too. But if someone uninstalls DC++, they then have 24kb/file that they can't recover. Plus, I'm unsure of how/if streams work on networked shares.

I'm content, largely, with the existing system, and I like rehashing files as they're moved across file systems. Moving within the same filesystem is something that I believe could be improved. (There's less demand for this with Virtual Directories in 0.4033+, or so I imagine.)