PublicHub List Management

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Timzone8

PublicHub List Management

Post by Timzone8 » 2004-10-31 06:47

Could the PublicHuB section be changed so that users can enter multiple hub lists and open one of them based on the number of many Hubs and Users; and the Total share size for each list. If the list needs to be downloaded to find out this information, then perhaps a PublicHubList List could be made to list stable PublicHubLists.
This would let users access the entire DC Network instead of having to change a setting every second to access a listing.
In conclusion, I'm proposing muliple-publichublist implementation and for the current PublicHubList tab to display information about the listed Hublists for the user to then choose a list.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2004-10-31 07:31

I would like to clarify: you can insert multiple hublists. Seperate them with a ; (semi colon). They will unfortunatly not be used at the same time due to the fact that DC++ don't store the hublists locally.
Example: hublist1.bz2;hublist2.bz2;hublist3.bz2 (in settings)
If you don't get hublist1.bz2, DC++ will move on to the next which is hublist2.bz2 and if that is unavailable (because of some reason), DC++ will move on the the next which is hublist3.bz2 and will continue to move on until DC++ finds a hublist that get downloaded.

Timzone8

There are various methods to implement multiple hublists...

Post by Timzone8 » 2004-10-31 07:57

Perhaps a section could have multiple hublists where they then branch off to the hubs. An Explorer like setup would be good but would take ages to load. With the current failsafe hublist method the users can only download one hublist at a time, then change the list, refresh, and so on. It isn't very practical.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2004-10-31 09:31

you have no idea how much the hublist downloading strains the hublist servers.
downloading multiple hublists simultaneously nullifies the redundant b/w that having the multiple hublists creates.

so.. alternatively, one could store the hublists locally, and only refresh them once every, say, couple of days, but then you'd be stuck with less up-to-date hublists.

personally, I find it odd that you can't get the best out of DC by using only one hublist. are the lists that different? do you really need to get into the largest 50 hubs everytime you search for something?
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

Timzone8

Post by Timzone8 » 2004-10-31 15:43

The amount of people in a hub doesn't attract my attention: it's the description or name that does. I'm generally content specific. There's only 5 or so hubs in the dreamland hublist for example: Trance Genre.

greebo

Post by greebo » 2004-11-02 07:35

Sedulus wrote:you have no idea how much the hublist downloading strains the hublist servers.
yep....i mentioned that in this post