People changing extensions to avoid downloaders.

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

slicemaster101

People changing extensions to avoid downloaders.

Post by slicemaster101 » 2004-10-27 03:20

Well,
As the title states, this seems to be a growing problem. Here is what is happening, I have noticed that a growing number of people are changing file extension to avoid downloaders. As I see the problem I also looked for a solution, when I realized that hashing your files is now required. Anyway no two different files can have the same hash right? If this is true, then I think future versions should allow you to download files with made up extensions (aka *.avi2, *.sos, etc.) to a file with the proper extensions (say *.avi or *.mpg). This I think would allow you to have more sources to D/L from and it would keep the community honest. It would basically let people download get more sources to download from even though one user has the same file with the *.mpg extension and the other has the *.mpeg extension even though it is the same file current versions wont let you use it as another score because the extension doesn’t match.

Slice

P.S. I hope everyone understands what I am trying to say.
!!DC++ RULES!!

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-10-27 03:30

Hashing will ensure that same content in a file regardless of what it is named to will have the same TTH.

There already is "download to"
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-10-27 03:41

DC++ already uses the TTH for almost all matching of files, filename is at this stage pretty irrelevant. Just make sure you stay in hubs that enforce hashing clients.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-27 10:02

Wow, that's a perfect example of a problem that hashing solves.

Autosearching should always pick up files with identical TTHes as alternates. Selecting a single file in search results or the file list should also let you download to any matching TTH. If you select multiple files, even with the same TTH, you don't get the same option. That's why Todi reopened Bug 35.

slicemaster101

thats what i'm saying

Post by slicemaster101 » 2004-10-28 17:51

That’s what I’m saying...the download to option works great and so does the hashing but at this point (as of 0.4034) you are not able to add another download source if the file extension does not match that of your initial source’s extension even though the hashes match. Right now I can start d/ling a Divx AVI with the AVI file extension and everything is fine as long as all the sources I try to add to my source list have AVI extensions, but if I try add the same file with a DIVX extension via the "download to" option it wont let me add it even though the file hash is the same.

Slice
!!DC++ RULES!!

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-10-29 00:31

Yes you can actually, as long as you only add one file with a different extension at a time, try it. It is a known bug that you can't add multiple files with different extensions at once. See this bugzilla entry for more information.

slicemaster101

Post by slicemaster101 » 2004-10-30 06:58

Todi wrote:Yes you can actually, as long as you only add one file with a different extension at a time, try it. It is a known bug that you can't add multiple files with different extensions at once. See this bugzilla entry for more information.
just tried it...it woks but only with one at a time like you said, when will the multiple issue be fixed?

Slice :D
!!DC++ RULES!!

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2004-10-30 09:01

slicemaster101 wrote:when will the multiple issue be fixed?
when it's fixed
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-30 09:19

slicemaster101 wrote:just tried it...it woks but only with one at a time like you said, when will the multiple issue be fixed?
No. DC++ doesn't have a set release schedule. I don't believe arne has a patch to fix this issue, so figuring when it'll be fixed requires a bit of prognostication.