md5 checksum search

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Should there be a md5 checksum search in dc++

Poll ended at 2003-04-08 04:32

Yes
67%
No
22%
I don't know
No votes
I'll rename the file any way I want to! So stfu!
11%

Total votes: 9

primemonk

md5 checksum search

Post by primemonk » 2003-03-09 04:32

One of the major problems of the dc networks is all the people who renames their files after download. Finding the original name and size of a file isn't to hard. But finding search combinations to finding files that have been renamed is a bit harder. It usually takes a few searches to get all the alternative downloads that I am looking for.

One great way of solving this would be to have a md5 checksum search instead of filename + filesize search. It would enable users to only do one search, regardless of the structure of the filename.

I also feel that people who rename their files to suite their own foolish needs are cotnradicting the purpose of the dc network, namely to share files with others, by making it harder for others to find the files that they are searching for. Keep the filename, how can a simple filename tick you off that much that it has to call to your vanity to rename it?

ender

Post by ender » 2003-03-09 06:08

Go around the forum and look for the topic "Adding file hashes to protocol". And MD-5 is not the best hashing algorithm out there.

Marvin

Re: md5 checksum search

Post by Marvin » 2003-03-09 08:28

primemonk wrote:I also feel that people who rename their files to suite their own foolish needs are cotnradicting the purpose of the dc network, namely to share files with others, by making it harder for others to find the files that they are searching for. Keep the filename, how can a simple filename tick you off that much that it has to call to your vanity to rename it?
Feel free to feel :wink:. I feel like renaming files that are unproperly named.

ender

Post by ender » 2003-03-09 10:20

I almost always rename the files I download - as I'm sharing lots of anime, I want all the files to be named in a similar way: Title - episode [group].avi . And I'm not bothered at all when people use different naming schemes for their files - I just add the files that have the same size and suitable names as alternates.

volkris

Re: md5 checksum search

Post by volkris » 2003-03-09 13:49

primemonk wrote:I also feel that people who rename their files to suite their own foolish needs are cotnradicting the purpose of the dc network, namely to share files with others, by making it harder for others to find the files that they are searching for. Keep the filename, how can a simple filename tick you off that much that it has to call to your vanity to rename it?
You have it backwards.
The purpose of DC is to download files, not share them. A person who downloads files and then renames them is absolutely fulfilling the purpose of DC. To demand that he not change filenames would be interfering with the purposes of DC.

Hashes are needed to fill the gap between people wanting to rename files and others wanting to be able to still find those files.