I wish DC++ be more STABLE before more FUNCTIONAL

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

KatanaTam

I wish DC++ be more STABLE before more FUNCTIONAL

Post by KatanaTam » 2004-10-17 08:59

In new DC++ Versions, Unicode and more thing is added. But I found it become little more unstable.

On my computer(XP + SP2), DC++ will take 99% CPU sometime, I don't know how to fix this bug, even to found out where is wrong.

on 0.4034, the copy nick name bug, the reson is a function didn't use the UNICODE FLAG.

I hope, before add any new function, Please Check out the source, found out all the little mistake. And please set down the coding style (like Use UNICODE or somethine), release a stable version, and then add new function step by step.

without a stable runnig, DC++ will hard to be popularize.

Wish we can have a perfect version based on DC++ v0.4034.

btw: I running a DC++ Server in my university, and now can keep about 100+ users on line, and can have 1TB+ resource. because DC++ is still not very stable, I can't did a big spread action now. Because, if the user use this software, and feel this is not good(stable is the main point). And you are hard to got that user back when you have a stable version.

PS: I am a chinese, please forgive my english. ^_^ Wish everyone can catch my meaning..

The Last, I Love DC++. I think i will create a Publish DC++ server on my city after my
graduation in 1 year.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-10-17 09:15

I'm always filled with joy when i hear people telling some of us todo. Its so refreshing.

Feel free to sumit bugreports that are valid in bugzilla, and submit patches.

I'm looking forward to you actualy contributing to this opensoftware-project.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

KatanaTam

Post by KatanaTam » 2004-10-17 09:25

I think the bug report system is a little complex, I like post on bbs, but i will try to do that after.

btw, you found out the nickname copy bug!? I post the modify code here, wish you can check it out.

WinUtil.cpp

Code: Select all

void WinUtil::setClipboard(const tstring& str) {
	if(!::OpenClipboard(mainWnd)) {
		return;
	}

EmptyClipboard();

// Allocate a global memory object for the text. 
	HGLOBAL hglbCopy = GlobalAlloc(GMEM_MOVEABLE, (str.size() + 1) * sizeof(TCHAR)); 
	if (hglbCopy == NULL) { 
		CloseClipboard(); 
		return; 
	} 

// Lock the handle and copy the text to the buffer. 
	TCHAR* lptstrCopy = (TCHAR*)GlobalLock(hglbCopy); 
	_tcscpy(lptstrCopy, str.c_str());
	GlobalUnlock(hglbCopy); 

// Place the handle on the clipboard. 
#ifdef UNICODE
	SetClipboardData(CF_UNICODETEXT, hglbCopy); 
#else
	SetClipboardData(CF_TEXT, hglbCopy); 
#endif
	CloseClipboard();
}
and I get a bug about magnet: URI, it can't work on my computer, XP + SP2.
when I copy a link on DC++, and try to open on my IE (even make a html with A tag),
IE only said can't not open the link, DC++ can't handle it.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-10-17 09:28

That bug has already been fixed in the development version. In fact, it was one of the first things fixed.

I suggest you bookmark the development version of changelog.txt.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

KatanaTam

Post by KatanaTam » 2004-10-17 09:44

bookmarked, thx! ^_^

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: I wish DC++ be more STABLE before more FUNCTIONAL

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-18 10:36

KatanaTam wrote:On my computer(XP + SP2), DC++ will take 99% CPU sometime, I don't know how to fix this bug, even to found out where is wrong.
Use Process Explorer, go to the properties on DCPlusPlus.exe, change the tab, and note the PID of the thread taking all the CPU time. Break DC++ in the debugger, and see what that thread is doing.

Easy.

Nobody who has had the problem before was a developer, or had the ability to find out what it was.

KatanaTam wrote:on 0.4034, the copy nick name bug, the reson is a function didn't use the UNICODE FLAG.
Yes, but the code you quoted later won't work. CF_UNICODE isn't available on Windows 9x. (That was my initial fix too, but I knew its perils)
KatanaTam wrote:Wish we can have a perfect version based on DC++ v0.4034.
Since you're a developer, you should be using the CVS version of DC++, you won't complain about bugs that are already fixed.
KatanaTam wrote:btw: I running a DC++ Server in my university, and now can keep about 100+ users on line, and can have 1TB+ resource. because DC++ is still not very stable, I can't did a big spread action now.
Well, the nickname copying (and magnets) doesn't affect stability. The CPU time sorta does I suppose, but not so much. Where's are you getting reason to call DC++ unstable?

(I want to know so it can be fixed.)

KatanaTam

Post by KatanaTam » 2004-10-18 10:47

I use a NAT network provide by school. so I don't use CVS before, but I will try learn about CVS later.

I know DC++ is good, I use 0.403 before, and it can run more then one day without any error. but on the 0.4034, it crash sometime. So I do this without more thinking. please forgive me.

and now, I think the crash problem is because I switch on the private message loging, and it will crash on some message.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Re: I wish DC++ be more STABLE before more FUNCTIONAL

Post by Guitarm » 2004-10-18 10:47

GargoyleMT wrote:Yes, but the code you quoted later won't work. CF_UNICODE isn't available on Windows 9x. (That was my initial fix too, but I knew its perils)
Hehe, how much did I not try......and I was almost there........ ;-)
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-18 13:47

KatanaTam wrote:I know DC++ is good, I use 0.403 before, and it can run more then one day without any error. but on the 0.4034, it crash sometime. So I do this without more thinking. please forgive me.
If you're using an unmodified DC++ 0.4034, paste the crash logs into: http://dcplusplus.sf.net/crash/

If not, it could be your own code that's crashing it. ;) Or at the very least, you can run it under a debugger and hopefully find out the cause of the crash. If you cannot fix it yourself, make a post to the Programmer's Help topic.

KatanaTam

Post by KatanaTam » 2004-10-21 01:37

GargoyleMT wrote:
KatanaTam wrote:I know DC++ is good, I use 0.403 before, and it can run more then one day without any error. but on the 0.4034, it crash sometime. So I do this without more thinking. please forgive me.
If you're using an unmodified DC++ 0.4034, paste the crash logs into: http://dcplusplus.sf.net/crash/

If not, it could be your own code that's crashing it. ;) Or at the very least, you can run it under a debugger and hopefully find out the cause of the crash. If you cannot fix it yourself, make a post to the Programmer's Help topic.
After fix the log bug, it is OK now. ^_^
I found out the log crash bug with the unmodifyed DC++ v0.4034.