Auto-disconnect uploads at given interval

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

phatnadz

Auto-disconnect uploads at given interval

Post by phatnadz » 2003-03-08 09:06

I routinely find myself closing uploads, usually about once every half an hour. No, this is not because I'm a leecher, it's actually to prevent leeching. I want to make sure those taking files from me remain in the hub to share *their* files. Anyone know a feature like this in DC++ builds?

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-03-08 09:10

Changelog.txt wrote: -- 0.20 --
[snip]
* Added automatic disconnection of uploads if a user leaves the hub. This is a somewhat controversial feature that disconnects any uploads to a user if the user leaves the hub (or is kicked...). If an upload is cancelled in this way, a free slot is granted to the user being kicked, in case that the user was unwillingly disconnected from the hub and returns within 10 minutes. This effectively prevents the "jump into hub, start a bunch of downloads, and exit the hub"-cheat, without the cheater being able to do anything about it. It is off by default, turn on in the settings.
[snip]
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Auto-disconnect uploads at given interval

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-03-08 09:39

phatnadz wrote:I routinely find myself closing uploads, usually about once every half an hour. No, this is not because I'm a leecher, it's actually to prevent leeching. I want to make sure those taking files from me remain in the hub to share *their* files. Anyone know a feature like this in DC++ builds?
A side effect will be, if they come back within 10 minutes, their granted slot will still be good, so you'll have one extra upload.

Sapporo

Post by Sapporo » 2003-03-08 12:04

God, do people really pay that much attention to who is downloading off of them?

synapz

Post by synapz » 2003-03-08 12:17

Sapporo wrote:God, do people really pay that much attention to who is downloading off of them?
Yeah, if ya share your files the user uploading off you should share their files too...I cared...long time ago...now I let anyone get my stuff and don't download much (other sources). When I looked at my DC++ "about page" it said 27,04GB download and 2,17TB upload..so u can see that I don't care much...but I bet that the users who actually are downloading as well as sharing their files on DC, care.
Just another silly hub owner ;-)

Splicer

Post by Splicer » 2003-03-08 13:01

I can understand with users that like to log into the hub about four times so they can take four of your slots to get that hard to find stuff, but I generally ignore my uploads and only disconnect the uploads that look like they're going to bottom out.
"Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today. Indecision brings delays. Days lost lamenting lost days"

"I’m getting some kind of sick pleasure out of watching her squirm!?!........must be a perk!"

Sapporo

Post by Sapporo » 2003-03-08 14:47

Well, I run my client 24x7, so I'll check it every few days and queue up more stuff to download. Other than that I never even look to see if anyone is downloading from me or not. I let the HUB take care of the leech/cheats.