Speed check

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

mcnaldo

Speed check

Post by mcnaldo » 2004-10-08 17:52

I would like that dc++ automatically and continuously would try to find a faster connection than the current one.

E.g. You're downloading a file that several users have. I would like for dc++ to check the connection speed to these other users, and if you get a faster connection speed to any of these, dc++ automatically switches to that connection, so you download the file from that user instead.

It's just that it is annoying to have to personally monitor the connections you have so you don't end up having really slow ones.

In order to avoid having to continuosly check the connection speed to everyone (which would probably take up unnecessary bandwidth and slow the hubs down) a fairly simple way to implement this would be to simply log the dl-speed you get when you download someones file list. Also it would probably be a good idea to log the average download speed you're getting when downloading other files as well. Dc++ then simply checks against the list if any of the other users with a specific file would give you a faster download speed than your current average dl-speed.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-10-10 21:23

Been suggested and shot down many times before. Use search.

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2004-10-11 15:47

i think the bots on the hubs should check the speed of users also, it could download a random file and when the speed is below let's say 2kb, the user should be kicked

i hate it when users with low speeds have very large amount of upload slots to join many hubs at the same time, downloading a divx of >600mb with 300bytes/s is a waste of time

Herodes

Post by Herodes » 2004-10-12 05:53

dc is for all .. just keep that in mind... if u dont like your speeds look elsewhere ...

not everywhere the ppl have the ability to use proper connections ...
[url=dchub://greekcyprus.no-ip.org].::+LiVe-¦-OnCE-¦-WaiT-¦-foR-¦-eVeR+::..[/url]

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2004-10-12 11:35

Herodes wrote:dc is for all .. just keep that in mind... if u dont like your speeds look elsewhere ...

not everywhere the ppl have the ability to use proper connections ...
i didn't say that, i just think people with low speeds shouldn't open >10 slots.. just open 1 or 2 slots

Herodes

Post by Herodes » 2004-10-12 19:12

I couldnt agree more ...
but the technicalities involved dont actually allow for that ...
maybe a new feature like
[x] No new Upload if speed below [2] kbps
would fix that ...

but why implement this without a chance to control it to prevent lamers ?

and (example) 56kbps would only be able to have 1 slot ... so that means that they will stay in 1 hub and no other .. . is that dc for all ?
[url=dchub://greekcyprus.no-ip.org].::+LiVe-¦-OnCE-¦-WaiT-¦-foR-¦-eVeR+::..[/url]

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-13 10:58

Herodes wrote:and (example) 56kbps would only be able to have 1 slot ... so that means that they will stay in 1 hub and no other .. . is that dc for all ?
Hmm? Either you have a fixed number of slots, or you do allocation based on minimum upload speed. Trying to mix both is a recipe for disaster.

Hub rules aren't quite ready to handle slot allocation based on upload speed, methinks.

Herodes

Post by Herodes » 2004-10-13 11:12

I am totally with u garg ..

my proposals where to reflect the problem .. not to solve it ..