Multisource Support

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

me_Marko

Multisource Support

Post by me_Marko » 2004-10-06 08:40

More than one source is the same, but it has different hash code.
Can you add feature which allow to add more sources with different hash code?

I know this is not good, because it is not sure if file is the same.
But it is better to have more sources if current has no free slot.

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-10-06 09:19

That would be horrid. If you care that much, close DC++ and edit your queue.xml such that the TTH root's not there. DC++ should not be helping you spread corrupt files (as, in fact, you are: you're not just choosing one of two possibly corrupt files, but you're creating an amalgamated third. Bad bad bad.)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Multisource Support

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-06 11:00

me_Marko wrote:I know this is not good, because it is not sure if file is the same.
In fact, it's sure that the file is not the same.

Some things, like file integrity, are more important than your feature request.

Anaythea

Post by Anaythea » 2004-10-06 12:21

Now this is my question. I've seen files that have the exact same number of bytes, exactly the same content and everything. If I select them all and do the download to i get offered to save to the file in queue. The only thing is that they refuse to add themselves to the file, because somehow they don't have exactly the same TTH. This has always worked and I've always gotten perfect files with older versions of DC++ with no loss of file integrity.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-06 12:28

Anaythea wrote:This has always worked and I've always gotten perfect files with older versions of DC++ with no loss of file integrity.
You're incorrect. Any difference in TTH means there are differences in the file. Any differences in the file means the file has lost integrity.

Now, it may seem fine because it's an AVI file, or a MP3 file, but that doesn't mean it hasn't lost integrity.