Automatically search for alternate download locations

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

°^Quicksilver^°

Automatically search for alternate download locations

Post by °^Quicksilver^° » 2004-10-05 08:57

Well something I haven't found earlier requested:
My Featurerequest: How about disabling the Atomatically search for alternate downloadlocations completele?
Well for me this seems to be a function whichs hugest effect is to strain the hubs upload. So why not disabing it. Most users think this function will get them more sources, and well with search after tth that may be more true than ever.
But imho people think this would be a feature to find alternates for new rar releases(or series) with a hundred of files quickly and compfortable.
But well to me it seems searching manually for a single file of this releases that is needed and than matching queues with the users of the found files, is faster more effective and does less strain to the hub.
Well so there is only less use in this feature and without it hubs may be able to be well I would estimate at least 5-10% bigger with the same bandwidth and cpu.

Ah and please don't tell me something like "educate your users" I do this and it does help but not for all. May be for 50% and thats not enough.
Imagination sets the spirit free,
Into distant lands of fantasy,
Close your eyes and you will see,
Within your mind there lies the key.

°^Quicksilver^°

Post by °^Quicksilver^° » 2004-10-05 09:02

Sry i looked at the page http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/bugs
but didn't want to post this as bucks also I couldn't see there some tab to place featurerequests as mentioned in the instructions.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2004-10-05 09:37

well.. it's the behaviour you have a problem with, not with the option per se. (I can imagine that my empty/tiny queue would never be a problem for your hub.)
so you should ideally try to detect the behaviour and act upon what you think is abuse.

look at some hub debug output or sniff the traffic to identify what automatic searches look like, and create a script that kicks users on excesive autosearches.
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-10-05 09:52

You have to learn howto recoqnice autosearches. It varies depending on dc++ versions you allow since some small changes has occured. But basicly you will have a problem finding them. So called free-searches can usualy be found by looking at modulus 1024 in size (or less than 1MiB or so). Search for alternatvies in the queue-frame vs autosearches is worse. You more or less have to check how often dc++ sends messages. But if you have a problem. Why don't you limit the bandwidth-usage / client instead. Since thats what your issue is all about.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-10-05 13:38

°^Quicksilver^° wrote:I couldn't see there some tab to place featurerequests as mentioned in the instructions.
Set the priority to "enhancement." Anyway, the autosearch only happens when there are less than 5 online sources and it matches queue with any new sources it gets (provided you have it turned on). So basically it works exactly like you want it to work already, and I don't see what the problem is.

°^Quicksilver^°

Post by °^Quicksilver^° » 2004-10-05 18:57

@sedulus well I am not that good @ clientsidescripting to do something like lurching for the autosearchers besides kicking someone simply for it may be a bit hard.
also like ivulvfusbar said limiting bandwith/client would do the job, but well I must admit that I am yoshihubuser so thats nothing I can do with my hubsoft.

Besides why should searching for alternates in the queue frame be worse, you just search a series by one file and get the others with the match queue function without having any further to search.

@ Pseudonymph
the problem is simply that many users use that search without knowing what strain it does because of that I would like to have as feature. That the option for automatical search is removed and disabled by default.

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-10-05 19:23

Because your hub software's insufficient, you want DC++ to solve your bandwidth problems for you?

The hub's the computer whose bandwidth is affected; therefore, the hub should trust only itself to limit bandwidth. Rather than DC++ compensating for a Yhub deficiency (why?), I would expect Yhub to take care of its audience (hub operators).

°^Quicksilver^°

Post by °^Quicksilver^° » 2004-10-06 05:05

Ask yhub because there is an abusable Feature in dc++. And thet are not just Bandwithproblems evry hub also thos that rather have cpu than bandwithproblems would profit from this.
By the way this autosearch doesn't cost a lot of Bandwith but a hundred users together that are searching with it 24/7 do, so If you limit bandwith well don't know based on what you limit bandwidth but it seems to me that you would there easily also limit the normal searcher in the few hours or minutes they are searching on a day.
Hey think about it what would you like to have more? This autosearches or a bit bigger hubs?
Well may be completele disabling it would be a bit hard, but may be just writing a warning behind the function would also do the job : sth like "using this strains Hubs"

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-10-06 05:13

You have different kind of possibilites to set max number of commands within a timeperiod in yhub already. Play with the settings and let your mind be free. Again, protection around so called "broken" features in client/hubs must be dealt with on both sides. Fixing it in dc++ would not fix the issue in the hub. ;))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-06 11:11

DC++'s improved auto-search a lot, make sure users use one of the latest versions, and put a notice in your rules about abusing the search feature. We had the same discussion this morning about a similar bit of protection that would be better handled in the hub software.

To be clear: DC++ has already improved auto-search a lot in regards to complaints, and behaves pretty sensibly. At least part of your issue is a user education one.