Search Strings

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Vanbuilderass

Search Strings

Post by Vanbuilderass » 2004-09-29 12:07

Ok i've been looking at the FAQ's and posts all over this site and can't find anything about search strings. I have been using DC for a few years now and understand the 'search for alternatives' and 'match queue list' options, but I am unclear what the deal is with the search string option. For example: when the user is gone and I try to run a search for the whole directory I can't do 'search for alternatives' I can only set up a search string, which of course entales naming the string ect. Now after that I can't pull that string up or deal with it any other way. So my ? is what the hell is the search string function all about? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx 8)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-29 12:12

There is no search string, it was removed from the latest version of DC++: 0.4033, released just this week.

It was a method of allowing you to search a little more widely in your auto-searches to try to catch those who had renamed their copy. However, TTHs handle that much more accurately, and all autosearches for items with TTHs are done for the TTH itself.

I documented this in the brand new help file, by the way. :mrgreen:

DeathStalker77

Search Strings

Post by DeathStalker77 » 2004-09-29 17:00

GargoyleMT:

The problem is, until EVERYONE is running a TTH-compliant client, there are going to be non-TTH files available - without the Search String option, it makes it more inconvenient to do searches for those files. You would have to manually type in the seach every time you wanted to run it, rather than just entering it once.

I know that I got to using it quite often (MUCH more than I initially thought i ever would).

I'm *really* hoping it will be brought back :)

--- DeathStalker

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-09-30 14:30

Well, for those with non-TTH clients, you don't know if they're sharing the correct version of the file, therefore making them invalid alternate sources. I'm also guessing it won't be that long until some hubs start requiring a hash-capable client (this can be done now because Valknut has hashing as well).

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Search Strings

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-30 19:07

DeathStalker77 wrote:You would have to manually type in the seach every time you wanted to run it, rather than just entering it once.
Or you could just name the file something generic. Or download only from TTH enabled clients. Or live with autosearching by filename for non-TTH sources.

Feel free to use 0.4032 for as long as you want.