Can't see my own filelist in 0.4033

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Lundis

Can't see my own filelist in 0.4033

Post by Lundis » 2004-09-28 13:21

About this new feature:
* File listings are now generated on the fly when someone needs them

Will it do a refresh every time someone requests my filelist? I hope not.
But the big problem is that I can't se what I share myself, I often look at my own filelist and find it useful.
Can I get it back please?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-28 13:29

You have to change DC++ to force it to generate the files on disk. The reason it writes the files on disk independently is so your file list can fill up as files are hashed.

A "My Library/Shared Files" feature has been in my mind for a while, Share Manager's rewrite may be the perfect time to implement it. (or for someone else to do so)

Lundis

Post by Lundis » 2004-09-28 14:11

You have to change DC++ to force it to generate the files on disk.
Is it possible for me to do that?
I refreshed several times and didn't get one but a little later I have one.

And was this a necesary thing to fix the bug about needing two /refresh to add files to your share?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-28 14:33

Lundis wrote:Is it possible for me to do that?
I refreshed several times and didn't get one but a little later I have one.
It's not a large change to the code - something to WinUtil.cpp, and some to ShareManager.cpp. Currently, you will only see an updated files.xml.bz2 when someone requests it from you. (the most recently written files.xml.bz2 is always kept around, for other purposes.)
Lundis wrote:And was this a necesary thing to fix the bug about needing two /refresh to add files to your share?
No this wasn't needed to fix that bug. The separation of share refresh from list creation addresses another issue: length of file refreshes and CPU usage during them. Both were (and perhaps will still be) perenial complaints for those who have large shares. Other portions of the sharemanager were rewritten so that refreshes do not block as many things as they do now, or do so for shorter periods of time.

Lundis

Post by Lundis » 2004-09-28 15:51

GargoyleMT wrote:Currently, you will only see an updated files.xml.bz2 when someone requests it from you. (the most recently written files.xml.bz2 is always kept around, for other purposes.)
But I need one NOW.

And may I remind you that it's IMPOSSIBLE to create a magnet link from a file in your own share if no one has requested the filelist. A feature you wrote in and which is handicapped now.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-29 11:06

Lundis wrote:And may I remind you that it's IMPOSSIBLE to create a magnet link from a file in your own share
What part of this do you think escapes me?

It will be addressed eventually, even if it were coded NOW, it probably wouldn't be soon enough for your demands.

Be patient, or fix it yourself.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-29 11:20

Lundis wrote:But I need one NOW. And may I remind you that it's IMPOSSIBLE to create a magnet link from a file in your own share if no one has requested the filelist. A feature you wrote in and which is handicapped now.
Install a hubsoft (I'm fiddling with Yhub myself). Do a debug build of the client and download the filelist from yourself. Problem solved.
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

Lundis

Post by Lundis » 2004-09-29 13:26

Guitarm wrote:Install a hubsoft (I'm fiddling with Yhub myself). Do a debug build of the client and download the filelist from yourself. Problem solved.
That's all? Great, I'll get right on it. :D

Well as long as you're aware of it I can wait.