metainformation

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

true_runner

metainformation

Post by true_runner » 2004-09-25 10:52

Hello, im back! :)

I was wondering if something could be done about a users information like in tags. For example the tags display a piece of information like [client, mode, hubs, slots] and I was wondering if metainformation could be added somehow. The metainformation doesnt have to be in the tags and it would probably be best if it wasnt in the tags to keep the tags short. But maybe it could be added to a file in a users share in the root directory or to a file like a file list where you can right click a name and select "get metainformation" or something. But I think that it would be good if the metainformation contained more than what the tags do like 1 ip address, 2 free slots, 3 what other hubs a user is connected to, 4 gigabytes of files downloaded, 5 gigabytes of files uploaded, 6 upload to download ratio (if needed?), 7 current upload speed (like appears in the bottom of the dc++ window), 8 current download speed (like what appears in the bottom of the dc++ window) , 9 other various statistics.

It would be nice to know if this could be implementated in the current dc protocal or the new dc protocall and if someone actually would implement it. Maybe it could be optional. I just think that it would be nicer to know more about a user and their free slots, and upload/download statistics before i download from them because a lot of times i do not search for a file but I just browse and see what interests me and it kind of gets annoying if a file is only belonging to one user but I really want that file.

Thank you for your time, Guardian and Locutus!

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-09-25 13:50

Current protocol? Like everything else, it can't really be done elegantly. As for ADC, you can always add new fields to the INF as you see fit....

true_runner

Post by true_runner » 2004-09-25 15:21

Oh I didnt know that. I saw a post and it made mention that there are two protocals. The one is the one that is being used now and the other is ADC which it said was under development and stuff. I am sorry.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: metainformation

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-26 19:50

true_runner wrote:But I think that it would be good if the metainformation contained more than what the tags do like 1 ip address,
Ok, shoot.
true_runner wrote:2 free slots,
Ok.
true_runner wrote:3 what other hubs a user is connected to,
Ugh. No.
true_runner wrote:4 gigabytes of files downloaded,
Ugh, no.
true_runner wrote:5 gigabytes of files uploaded,
Ugh, no.
true_runner wrote:6 upload to download ratio (if needed?),
Why the world do you need to know this?
true_runner wrote:7 current upload speed (like appears in the bottom of the dc++ window),
Somewhat sensible, but it can be achieved through having an editable (and thereby more accurate) connection type.
true_runner wrote:8 current download speed (like what appears in the bottom of the dc++ window) ,
Ugh, why do you need this?
true_runner wrote:9 other various statistics.
List them.
true_runner wrote:if someone actually would implement it
You have a snowflake's chance in hell.