Symlimiter

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Argonne

Symlimiter

Post by Argonne » 2003-03-05 15:10

This is not an uplimiter request:

I however do think that there should some sort of band-limiter. Some people are sharing connections with a group of households and connections also get bogged down if the upload band is completely full. But I also strongly feel that none of the solutions in operation are any good and I would ban all users of hacked clients on sight, if I were an OP.

The solution is simple: a symmetric uplimiter which would limit your downband equally to the upband . Economics, after all, is about division of scarce resources and this is well in accordance with a kind of "invisible hand" - if you believe in that sort of thing. A limitless uplimiter automatically leads to a "tragedy of the commons" because there is no cost to using it (other that ban, but a solution that requires enforcement is not good). I am a bit divided as to whether it should be percentage-based or kb/s based. I think a percentage based limiter would be the cleanest solution but in some DSL connections there can be 1000/384, so that the upband is smaller. This is of course not the fault of the user but the phone/cable company. A kb/s based symlimiter would certainly be harsch but nobody could complain about it. If you need to use it you would use it. I personally have a 10 Mbit connection but might want to limit speed to maybe 400-500 kb/s in order not to make myself too noticeable on the network - I am also sharing the connection but this is not usually a problem.

Any thoughts?

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-03-05 17:36

Read this post, then search the boards for "upload AND limit".

Have a few beers ready, perhaps some chips (dip is good too) then prepare yourself for some time with the boards.

Sarf
---
Think "HONK" if you're a telepath!