Built-In End-to-End Data Encryption Engine

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

slicemaster101

Built-In End-to-End Data Encryption Engine

Post by slicemaster101 » 2004-09-23 00:42

Well,
I’ve been using DC++ for some time. I really love it and wouldn’t stop using it for anything. Anyway I was just thinking all the stuff I download and share and I just realized that all this stuff is sent “in the open� so that any nosy snooper can view the contents theoretically, right? :evil: Anyways I was wondering if maybe a future feature could be a built-in end-to-end data encryption engine (128-bit or higher). You know, to keep those nosy folks from ease dropping on our file transfers. :twisted: Anyways this is just a thought and IMHO a pretty good one at that. Anyways, I think DC++ is great and I think that this type of feature could make it even better.

Signed,
Slice

P.S. I have noticed that development has slowed a lot recently (no new builds for quite a wile) and I was wondering why.
!!DC++ RULES!!

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2004-09-23 04:45

Regarding encryption have that been discussed before. Check http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/forum ... 31b24e059f
(it's a lot to read but don't post bck unti you've read all of it)
And the development hasn't slowed down what I can tell. It is just so that many new things that are getting imlemented right noew and this makes it take time to get everyting working enough for a new binary realease. You can check the changelog in CVS to see all changes.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Re: Built-In End-to-End Data Encryption Engine

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-09-23 06:46

slicemaster101 wrote:P.S. I have noticed that development has slowed a lot recently (no new builds for quite a wile) and I was wondering why.
Build release rate != development rate.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-24 18:27

I'm pretty consitently getting new updates out of CVS, which is where all the code goes before normal users see it.

Encryption has been discussed before, if you have comments about its implementation (beyond "I'd like this feature") or questions, just post to the best old thread on the subject.

slicemaster101

all talk no work...

Post by slicemaster101 » 2004-09-24 19:26

joakim_tosteberg wrote:Regarding encryption have that been discussed before. Check http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/forum ... 31b24e059f
(it's a lot to read but don't post bck unti you've read all of it)
And the development hasn't slowed down what I can tell. It is just so that many new things that are getting imlemented right noew and this makes it take time to get everyting working enough for a new binary realease. You can check the changelog in CVS to see all changes.
Read it all, good discussion but that’s about it. :roll: No one seems to be taking any action based on the information and opinions provided. And it definitely is not in the minds of the current developers, as this doesn’t seem to catch their interest. :( I think this is an important issue and really should be seriously looked into for future implementation but as stated in the thread you mentioned it is a complex process and no work has even begun to get closer to the end to end encryption goal.

Slice
!!DC++ RULES!!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: all talk no work...

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-24 19:40

slicemaster101 wrote:Read it all, good discussion but that’s about it. :roll:
If you'd like to volunteer your time, then hear from a user that you're not doing a good enough job, be my guest.

Really.

slicemaster101

Post by slicemaster101 » 2004-09-25 03:06

GargoyleMT wrote:
slicemaster101 wrote:Read it all, good discussion but that’s about it. :roll:
If you'd like to volunteer your time, then hear from a user that you're not doing a good enough job, be my guest.

Really.
I in no way suggested that I could do a better job then the current development team. To be exact I think they have done a wonderful job with past and present DC++ distributions. I simply don’t under stand why nothing has been mentioned as far as this being a goal or what not. Not even an attempt to start to create code or develop the idea further from what I can gather as an outside observer. I know it is a hard thing to do and I also know I could not do it as I am no programmer, but I do think that this type of feature should be a goal for the development team. I honor you people who take time from their private lives to continue to better this wonderful piece of software.

Slice
!!DC++ RULES!!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-26 19:46

slicemaster101 wrote:I also know I could not do it as I am no programmer, but I do think that this type of feature should be a goal for the development team..
I refer you to my previous post.

If you respect the work myself and others do, don't try to dictate how we spend our time. There are lots of really good feature suggestions, and a fair number that various groups would judge as "important", but there's simply not enough time to please everyone.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-26 22:33

Thank you for providing the link.
I have seen you providing it before but I'll admit beeing lazy not reading it through completely. I do know I make alot of the mistakes pointed out by the author (especially in Devhub but also here).

I won't go on babbling. I just wanted to express my gratitude to all of you people (you all know who you are) for providing me and others with your expensive time and your expertise knowledge.

Sincere and grateful Regards

/Guitarm
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

slicemaster101

Post by slicemaster101 » 2004-09-29 23:44

GargoyleMT wrote:
slicemaster101 wrote:I also know I could not do it as I am no programmer, but I do think that this type of feature should be a goal for the development team..
I refer you to my previous post.

If you respect the work myself and others do, don't try to dictate how we spend our time. There are lots of really good feature suggestions, and a fair number that various groups would judge as "important", but there's simply not enough time to please everyone.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Point taken, I apologize if I came across the wrong way (demanding and angry) as this was not my intent. :(

Slice
!!DC++ RULES!!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-30 19:15

slicemaster101 wrote:Point taken, I apologize if I came across the wrong way (demanding and angry) as this was not my intent. :(
Now that you understand, it's ok.

When you volunteer your time, you'll find a lot of people have a lot of idea about how you should spend it. If someone cares deely enough about a feature, this is why having them work on it themselves is the best way, sometimes. That's the softer explanation of "patches welcome."