Transfer & Queuing

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

nagan

Transfer & Queuing

Post by nagan » 2004-09-18 13:20

8) Transfer bar 1. Let the user decide the index of the transfer bar be it the user,status,hub etc once. Let DC take up with the previous choice of the index and not the default name. If a user suddenly disconnects the "disconected" user falls below "Connecting" and "No slots avbl" users.Very hard to identify."Downloaded---",
"uploaded---", "finished dwnld -idle",disconnected","connecting","Noslots" could be a fair indexing??
2. Why not allow alternate user search from the transfer bar itself especially of the listed file of the "connecting", "No slots " users??
3.Restore the rightclick shortcut key "C" to close connection ,it is clashing with copy nick to clipboard.

Queue 1.Let the priority(Normal ,high etc default normal) be allowed to be set from the search list,the transfer bar, and the user list. It becomes quite a task to go to the dwnld queue and alter the priorities!

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2004-09-18 13:57

If you want to request a feature, open a new feature request at dcplusplus.sf.net/bugs and vote for it AFTER you have checked so that the feature isn't requested already. If it already have been requested vote for that one instead.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Re: Transfer & Queuing

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-18 14:06

nagan wrote:Transfer bar 1. Let the user decide the index of the transfer bar be it the user,status,hub etc once. Let DC take up with the previous choice of the index and not the default name. If a user suddenly disconnects the "disconected" user falls below "Connecting" and "No slots avbl" users.Very hard to identify."Downloaded---",
"uploaded---", "finished dwnld -idle",disconnected","connecting","Noslots" could be a fair indexing??
I definitely agree with this although I know that previous discussions has mostly ended with (correct me if I'm wrong) more or less "The case is closed, stop whining"
nagan wrote:2. Why not allow alternate user search from the transfer bar itself especially of the listed file of the "connecting", "No slots " users??
Isn't this a bit unnecessary if you have choosen "Automatically search for alternative download locations" and "Automatically match queue for auto search hits" or do I misunderstand this?
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

nagan

Re: Transfer & Queuing

Post by nagan » 2004-09-22 11:57

Guitarm wrote:Isn't this a bit unnecessary if you have choosen "Automatically search for alternative download locations" and "Automatically match queue for auto search hits" or do I misunderstand this?
Manually searching for alternate files is more effective than DC++ doing the auto-search which it does quite slowly and at its own pace.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-22 12:07

Ok, I suppose that's your own experience. Things aside I refer to what joakim_tosteberg said about features/requests
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-22 14:13

Guitarm wrote:Ok, I suppose that's your own experience. Things aside I refer to what joakim_tosteberg said about features/requests
He knows about bugzilla. His very first post was spammed to bugzilla, the forum, and the old feature tracker.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-22 14:57

Ok, I have no more comments (besides this one obviously) :wink:

nagan

Post by nagan » 2004-09-23 10:34

GargoyleMT wrote: He knows about bugzilla. His very first post was spammed to bugzilla, the forum, and the old feature tracker.
Well I suppose the quote was quite unchariatable.I did write to Todd or is it Tepp that there needs to be a FAQ for the BUGZILLA.It was never easier as the old one.The issue is whether the suggestions mentioned are worthy or not whichever way they come?
Leave it to you. :evil:

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-09-23 15:31

Funny, I managed to figure the bugzilla out fine. Now if we could just do something about the 0.235 point font....

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-23 15:33

A faq for bugzilla?. Now, just give me a New York minute here my friend.

The bugzilla usage is perfectly documented if you just take the time/opportunity to read instead of just panic-posting as if the world would disapper if your post doesn't get committed.

Regards

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-24 18:56

nagan wrote:Well I suppose the quote was quite unchariatable.I did write to Todd or is it Tepp that there needs to be a FAQ for the BUGZILLA. It was never easier as the old one. The issue is whether the suggestions mentioned are worthy or not whichever way they come?
That's me. Todd (E.) Pederzani = tepederzani = todd.pederzani = GargoyleMT.

Bugzilla may be difficult for you, but it is the proper tracker to put your requests into. Specifically, it's very nice because it allows duplicates to be marked more intuitively than the SF one, and is portable as well. Plus, users can vote for features. We have it set up so anything with 5+ votes becomes visible by default - it goes from "unconfirmed" to "confirmed", letting us, the developers, guess which features users want and adjust accordingly.

Where you put bugs is important, since it may be a while before your suggestions are potentially put into code. There are some wonderful suggestions from 2002 that are still suggestions, and not features. So, putting your suggestions in thee right place is a great boon to us, and useful to others who want the same features, who can then vote for your suggestion.

nagan

Post by nagan » 2004-09-28 12:14

GargoyleMT wrote: Todd (E.) Pederzani = tepederzani = todd.pederzani = GargoyleMT.

Bugzilla may be difficult for you, but it is the proper tracker to put your requests into. Specifically, it's very nice because it allows duplicates to be marked more intuitively than the SF one, and is portable as well. Plus, users can vote for features. We have it set up so anything with 5+ votes becomes visible by default - it goes from "unconfirmed" to "confirmed", letting us, the developers, guess which features users want and adjust accordingly.
:D Your suggestions are welcome.I tried Bugzilla.org but the site seems to be overladen with technical blah blahs competing with its homepage??Is there anyway things are explained with clarity as did your name.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-28 13:25

nagan wrote:Your suggestions are welcome.I tried Bugzilla.org but the site seems to be overladen with technical blah blahs competing with its homepage??Is there anyway things are explained with clarity as did your name.
Just like anything else: search.

For instance, I typed in "bugzilla user guide", and one of the first pages I came across led me to the following page, in a few clicks: http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/2.14/html/using.html

I haven't read it, though the first few words and the topic headings seem to be aimed at a end-users.

Also, read some bug reports, and see how they're done. In particular, see this comment I made: http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/cgi-b ... ?id=122#c4

nagan

Post by nagan » 2004-09-29 11:39

GargoyleMT wrote: Also, read some bug reports, and see how they're done. In particular, see this comment I made: http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/cgi-b ... ?id=122#c4
Thanks for the guidance.I had to strain to get the communication there.Would try to get a magnifying glass next time.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-29 12:16

nagan wrote:Would try to get a magnifying glass next time.
I think you're talking about the text size. If you're using FireFox, Use Control-+ to increase the font size. In Internet Explorer, use the "Text Size" under the "View" menu.

Or vote for the bug: http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/cgi-b ... .cgi?id=60
("Default font size too small.")

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2004-09-29 13:32

GargoyleMT wrote:
nagan wrote:Would try to get a magnifying glass next time.
I think you're talking about the text size. If you're using FireFox, Use Control-+ to increase the font size. In Internet Explorer, use the "Text Size" under the "View" menu.
Control+scroll down on the mouse works too ( scroll up to decrease size again)

nagan

Post by nagan » 2004-10-12 12:21

Has the main subject of this post topic got lost in the interludes?

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-10-12 13:04

Apparantly, yes

nagan

Post by nagan » 2004-11-09 11:52

8) How about a small reminder ,if this issue is still alive and under reckoning.