not hashing certain files

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Endless

not hashing certain files

Post by Endless » 2004-09-16 22:51

I was wondering if anyone thought about either having an option to not hash certain files, or to have DC automaticly not hash specific filetypes, or filesizes.

I regularly rip dvd's and have gigs of vob's on one of my drives, I also share the entire drive because it's easier that way. The vob's go in and out of there, they stay in for a few hours to a few days, and there is NO way I am ever going to have someone downloading them. But they still occasionaly sit there long enough to wind up hashed. How about having dc no hash files over a gig or two? or not hash .vob files etc ? It just seems like a waste of resource to hash something I know will never be uploaded.

Oh, and I do know I can hide the folder and DC won't share it at all, But I also have a program or two that won't see hidden folders and there's no option to change it.

Thx...
E

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Re: not hashing certain files

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-16 23:03

Endless wrote:I also share the entire drive because it's easier that way.
That's called laziness. I would suggest that, Instead of messing with yet another option, just create a dedicated share where you put what you want to share. Administratively it must be easier for you to handle what is shared or not instead of having to fiddle inside DC++ with separate files flagged as shared/unshared.
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-09-17 00:34

Endless wrote:there is NO way I am ever going to have someone downloading them
So what's the point in sharing them? :?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

madman2003

Post by madman2003 » 2004-09-17 01:58

Maybe he has some hubs share minimum to overcome and fixes it by sharing crap. I'm surprised that hub doesn't kick for sharing large vobs.

Madman2003.

AgentSmith

Post by AgentSmith » 2004-09-17 06:32

Endless, you shouldn't use DC++. Here we want to SHARE. Instead of to leech only. Please use Kazaa or Bittorrent and don't spoil the DC++ community.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-09-17 07:01

You can always use the hidden-atrribute and don't let DC++ share your hidden files.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-17 08:00

Endless wrote:How about having dc no hash files over a gig or two? or not hash .vob files etc ? It just seems like a waste of resource to hash something I know will never be uploaded.
Hashing is about file integrity. Therefore, every type and size of file benefits from hashing. In my mind, the argument for hashing large files is stronger than the argument for hashing small files, since they're, well, large, and take a lot of time to download. If they're corrupt and you cannot repair just one section of it, then that's a lot more wasted time than if the same thing happened on a small file.

Sorry for the gang-bang, I hope you don't let it get to you.

Endless

Post by Endless » 2004-09-17 17:43

Guitarm - It doesn't make sense to create a folder called "share" on every one of my drives and then move everything into it I care to share. Some of those folders have things pointing to them, like shortcuts, and the paths would be ruined for a lot of different things. I saw some program that had the share options set up much like emule, tick the box for the folder you do want to share and dont tick it for the ones you dont want to. I just cant remember what version or mod that was.

TheParanoidOne - I share the root of 3 different drives, instead of adding several hundred folders to DC one at a time. And adding individual folders to DC's share, means when a new folder is made, it isn't shared. I have to go share it. And things on the root of the drive aren't shared either.

madman2003 - I have 350 gig of non vob's shared. Only 50 gig or so are vob's and dvd rips that end up shared sometimes. And they are my hubs, I have never been in more than one "public" hub.

AgentSmith - You have no clue what you're talking about. I made a simple suggestion and you assume I'm a leach, without knowing a damn thing. Piss off.

ivulfusbar - I did that for a while. But I happen to have a program or two I regularly use that won't see any hidden directories. And there is no option to make it see them.

GargoyleMT - I know. I like hashing. I *never* bashed it. I'm just saying, hashing is a way to find alternate downloads of a renamed file, check that you downloaded the full and correct file, etc etc. All relating to downloading. The thing is, these files I'm refering to, will *never* be downloaded. I'm in a hub where people don't go downloading 4+ gig DVD's off eachother, and I would never allow someone to start downloading a dvd I'm about to rip and convert anyways. The files I speak of won't ever be downloaded, and I was just wondering a way to stop wasting CPU and time hashing them, other than hiding them.

Fuck it. I guess it's stupid suggestion. I'll work it out on my own.

E

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-17 19:04

Endless wrote:Guitarm - It doesn't make sense to create a folder called "share" on every one of my drives and then move everything into it I care to share. Some of those folders have things pointing to them, like shortcuts, and the paths would be ruined for a lot of different things. I saw some program that had the share options set up much like emule, tick the box for the folder you do want to share and dont tick it for the ones you dont want to. I just cant remember what version or mod that was.
I don't want so sound rude but don't you think that setting up a decent share with cleanly/logically named paths and folders is a fairly good way of improving the community?.

Sure, I've seen the idea of having to choose certain folders/files for sharing - To me that amplifies the idea of not having to organize a share/diskstructure in a proper/logical way.

What do these shortcuts point to?, documents?, exe's?.
I still fail to understand why you share a mass (it's seems to be a enormous share from what you describe) of things that you're certain nobody would download.

That, to me, exemplifies the above in that sense that you're not very interrested in people downloading from you - is it more important to have a big share of junk?.

I still think the idea of having a non-dedicated share as a mix of workingarea/share with shortcuts pointing here, there and everywhere is a bad idea.

As said before, I don't mean to be rude but your idea of organizing stuff is not the same as mine although I understand (not agree with) what you mean/want functionwise.

To sum this up: I'ts must be up to you to organize your disk(s) in such a way that it is possible for people to see a decent share and for you to not having files hashed just because of strange/bad/lazy organizing.
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-18 08:04

Endless wrote:All relating to downloading. The thing is, these files I'm refering to, will *never* be downloaded.
Fair enough. Your situation is a specialized one, since most people do put files they expect other to download into their share.

If the hub has a programmer in it, I suggest you try to cajole him into making a mod of DC++ (one that obeys the GPL - making the source available to those who have the binary) .

Or, as a workaround, DC++ will not share directories with a period at the beginning of them (this is the style for hiding files in unix). You can create your non-shared directories in such a fashion (though you may have to do it from the command prompt - Windows Explorer seems to complain about not having a filename part), and then DC++ won't share them. And applications that broke because of the hidden attribute on your other directories should work fine with it.

Endless

Post by Endless » 2004-09-18 15:00

GargoyleMT wrote:Or, as a workaround, DC++ will not share directories with a period at the beginning of them (this is the style for hiding files in unix). You can create your non-shared directories in such a fashion (though you may have to do it from the command prompt - Windows Explorer seems to complain about not having a filename part), and then DC++ won't share them. And applications that broke because of the hidden attribute on your other directories should work fine with it.
Now THAT is something useful to me.

I've got them named, and DC isn't sharing them, and so far, the programs are working fine still.

Thx Gargoyle.

E

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-19 15:04

Endless wrote:Thx Gargoyle.
You're welcome, I'm glad that seems to be working out for you. :)

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-19 15:12

I'm happy too, believe it or not :)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-19 16:20

NTFS junctions may help as well, if you want to investigate them to see how pleasing they are, here's a tool someone just recommented: http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-19 16:26

Again, thank you for providing very interresting information

bloodymad

Post by bloodymad » 2004-09-20 22:57

You can also include a "$" in the directory name.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-21 11:37

bloodymad wrote:You can also include a "$" in the directory name.
This code was removed at some point, I'll have to test to see if DC++ will share them properly or not.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-21 11:59

GargoyleMT wrote:This code was removed at some point, I'll have to test to see if DC++ will share them properly or not.
They're not shared, in the latest CVS the check for $ occurs for both directories/files in the same place, so there's just one warning for both.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-21 12:03

Ok, thanks to everyone for providing valuable info