TTH really is great but...

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Reaperrrrr

TTH really is great but...

Post by Reaperrrrr » 2004-09-10 12:40

I am a big fan with what you have done with TTH, that sort of thinking makes for better downloading. Now though i think some refinement is in order, for example when searching it would be handy to see which TTH there is most of instead of trawling through to find the one with the most users.

Also for TTH to be successful, it really needs to be enforced, so i would suggest that people with older versions that don't hash should be blocked from downloading from newer users that do, just to give them a nudge in the right direction as it were.

Finally if you could find a way of when searching for download alternatives of showing how similar the alternate files are to the one your downloading so people could choose files that are say 1 byte in difference as alternatives when there is no other viable options.

Anyway good stuff so far, it already leaves most other download options standing. Do please ignore those muppets that want TTH taken away or made optional to hash straight off and then it can only get better.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: TTH really is great but...

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-10 13:28

Reaperrrrr wrote:I am a big fan with what you have done with TTH, that sort of thinking makes for better downloading. Now though i think some refinement is in order, for example when searching it would be handy to see which TTH there is most of instead of trawling through to find the one with the most users.
The grouping of search results has long been one of the planned features taking advantage of hashing. It definitely will be implemented.
Reaperrrrr wrote:Also for TTH to be successful, it really needs to be enforced, so i would suggest that people with older versions that don't hash should be blocked from downloading from newer users that do, just to give them a nudge in the right direction as it were.
There are already several nudges in this direction. If hub owners want to enforce a minimum client version for their hub, that is their call to make. If the hubowners are happy with 0.306 or even 0.181, then there's no cause to block uploads to such users. They're already penalized by not being able to get user lists for free anymore.
Reaperrrrr wrote:Finally if you could find a way of when searching for download alternatives of showing how similar the alternate files are to the one your downloading so people could choose files that are say 1 byte in difference as alternatives when there is no other viable options.
Trying to guess similarity of similarly sized files by downloading the leaves and figuing out which percentage are identical to the download's existing set of leaves is an advanced feature. I do not want it to become often used, I want it to be a last chance to recover a file. (When it's coded, that is.) It's wasteful of resources - at least by searching and downloading a tthl per root hash.

When grouping by search results gets implemented, there'll be a lot less demand for this feature anyway.
Reaperrrrr wrote:Anyway good stuff so far, it already leaves most other download options standing. Do please ignore those muppets that want TTH taken away or made optional to hash straight off and then it can only get better.
Sure, but you do realize that looking for similar files also subverts the intended purpose of TTHes, right? ;)

Reaperrrrr

Post by Reaperrrrr » 2004-09-10 13:52

Sure, but you do realize that looking for similar files also subverts the intended purpose of TTHes, right?
Agreed but something must be done for files where you have 15 or so at the same size, but none of them match the TTH of the one you have downloaded say 75%. A couple of times i have been forced to search for the files that have no TTH which are few in number and may become fewer in number, because i am unable to 'make do' with other files of different TTH and attempt to gain what is left of the download.

nagan

Post by nagan » 2004-09-11 11:26

What do you mean by grouping search results? Will the file identity and uniqueness be comparable?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-11 11:52

TTH is already a measure ot the identity of a file.

What I meant was that multiple search results for the same TTH would be grouped together in a tree - collapsed, so you'd see

Code: Select all

<file>    <6 users>    <other details>
Instead of 6 individual search results. You could then click on the plus to expand the tree and see all 6 results individually.

This is the same thing that other P2P clients do.