different share for different hubs

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

dr.feelgood

different share for different hubs

Post by dr.feelgood » 2004-09-05 04:36

I’m new here so please forgive me if this recommendation has been done earlier, I’ve searched but haven’t found something like this.
I’m really disturbed cos I can’t share all that I have in some of the hubs because in the other “private� hubs that I’m registered they only allow like DVD-R or something else. I have like 600 GB of different RAR original releases but I must choose what to share every time I’m about to connect in different hubs.
Could you please give us a feature to choose different share for different hubs? Like we can choose different nickname under favourites?
I hope you understand my recommendation.

Shroom

Post by Shroom » 2004-09-05 04:58

It can't be done due to limits in the current protocol (technical reasons). A new protocol is currently under development (ADC), so maybe this can be done in the future.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-09-05 10:43

This has also been requested around 3.2E40 times.

umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn » 2004-09-14 08:54

Shroom wrote:It can't be done due to limits in the current protocol (technical reasons). A new protocol is currently under development (ADC), so maybe this can be done in the future.
One question though, as I am also waiting for this option: how are the users sitting on two hubs you are connected to going to be treated ? ... they must recieve one of your file lists (assuming they are to be different for each hub).

I know it isn't much of a problem anyway :P
just another singnature...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-15 18:53

umop apisdn wrote:One question though, as I am also waiting for this option: how are the users sitting on two hubs you are connected to going to be treated ? ... they must recieve one of your file lists (assuming they are to be different for each hub).
Which hub was the connection request routed through? They would get the list for that hub. (Or rather they'd get the list for the hub on which the magic cookie they present on connection was issued on.)

Antonimo

Create an "extra" profile

Post by Antonimo » 2004-09-17 03:32

You could create your share list and then make a copy and rename the file "MyList1.bz2" in the installation folder.

You could then create another share list and again, rename the new file "MyList1.bz2".

You could do this as many times as you have different share list requirements.

You could then write a small batch file to rename the required share list file to "MyList1.bz2" and to then launch DC++.

(Alternatively, you could manually rename the share list file if you do not wish to write a batch file.)

This process would save you the trouble of having to re-create the share list each time, although you would still be restricted to only one share liist at a time.

A second alternative is to have seperate installations of the entire program.

[If I have missed something here, I hope another will post and correct :-)]

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Create an "extra" profile

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-17 07:54

Antonimo wrote:(Alternatively, you could manually rename the share list file if you do not wish to write a batch file.)

[If I have missed something here, I hope another will post and correct :-)]
DC++ makes the list as a copy of its own file structures in memory. You can change which list DC++ sends out, but you cannot change which share it searches or checks against when someone requests a file.

The original requester wants DC++ to respond to lists and searches with two different shares at the same time, so even if your suggestion worked, it wouldn't fit his needs.

SetoTK

Post by SetoTK » 2004-09-20 06:16

and yet no one thought of multiple instances of DC++, thats all yer need to client running maybe bit of hassle having to change between each but thats what 2monitors is for, :roll:

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-09-20 06:18

If you run several instances, remember to run them from different root-folders.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-09-20 06:25

PsuedonympH wrote:This has also been requested around 3.2E40 times.
SetoTK wrote:and yet no one thought of multiple instances of DC++
Actually it's been thought of approximately 3.2E40 times. Believe it or not, but this is not the first time this feature has been suggested. The existing discussions go into a lot more depth.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words