Searching for lot of files

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

boillzz

Searching for lot of files

Post by boillzz » 2004-09-04 05:01

i was wondering if it was possible instead of having to manually enter lots of search strings , to use a file text already filled with the search string, and have dc++ ( or a script / plugin ) reading this file text and making the work for me .

It s just annoying to have to enter the search string when u have a lot a things to search for , while thing could be automatized. I know there is ADL search but it search only in file lists downloaded . so it s really limited

Anyone to help me ?

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-09-04 05:48

Wouldn't you still have to manually select the files to download anyway? I'm pretty sure you'd get a lot of false results if you automated the searching process like that.

boillzz

Post by boillzz » 2004-09-04 06:54

yes youre right , i d have to manually check the results . I see the thing like this : i let dc++ search for me all day long instead of manually searching during one hour or two ( and potentially generate some flood ) , and i just check the results ( the results could go in some logs or text file ) and decide or no to download the files .

The time is gained on the search, but it s always me to decide to download or not. Checking results file would be very quick, i think for 200 search a day i could "analyse" the search logst in 10/15 minutes, instead of taking 1 hour of searching//waiting search results /analysing/waiting because of 5 sec limitation on hubs/searching etc

boillzz

Post by boillzz » 2004-09-08 09:13

just to continue on this subject ( i hope i m not the only one interested in it :roll: )

I've managed to use a task manager ( wintask ) to search for me :

i use a text file, with the search strings in it, and daily, wintask , open dc++ , turn "autosearch for alternate users" off, read the text file, send the search strings every 30 secs to the hubs until the end of the text file, and when finished, turn " autosearch for alternate users" on .

When i come back at home, i ve just to analyse all the search box ( dc++ can open a LOT of theses boxs) . I think it s just a pity that dc++ cant do this alone . I hope it will be added in the future versions ! 8)

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-09-08 17:27

People that are this hardcore in their downloading scare me....

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-09 22:42

Soulseek has a feature like this. I'm not sure it's suited to DC - there are a lot of searches already, enabling more searches will just make the make the per-user bandwith for a hub go up, leading to smaller user counts for hubs run off of small internet pipes.

boillzz

Post by boillzz » 2004-09-10 09:21

GargoyleMT wrote:Soulseek has a feature like this. I'm not sure it's suited to DC - there are a lot of searches already, enabling more searches will just make the make the per-user bandwith for a hub go up, leading to smaller user counts for hubs run off of small internet pipes.
Yeah but if DC make the searches for you , it can t spread out researches in time to avoid the hub to saturate.

I think most user of DC use heavily the manuel search function for a short period of time .. and saturate the hubs .. a search function like this which spread the researchs in time can unchoke the hubs .

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-09-10 09:29

With BDCD lua-support you can do most of the things you want instead. I don't find the feature usefull in any way at all. If you want to spend time on it please do so. But if i would had, i had used lua-support in bcdc instead. And stored SR in a text-file which easily can be spoofed into the GUI with some simlpe thinking. ;))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-09-10 11:01

boillzz wrote:I think most user of DC use heavily the manuel search function for a short period of time .. and saturate the hubs .. a search function like this which spread the researchs in time can unchoke the hubs .
A simple search manager that spaces out the searches (without allowing you to do automatic searches for arbitrary content) will also help the hubs. It's related, but will be implemented as a separate feature and shouldn't be entangled with the idea of periodic searches.

Enabling a feature for periodic searches will increase the number of searches, and I stand by my previous assertion that this will raise bandwidth requirements for each user of a hub.