richer $UserCommands

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

zahary_k

richer $UserCommands

Post by zahary_k » 2004-09-03 16:16

Ehlo ,
I am a hub owner and for several times i've been missing the ability to do
more with user-commands than just sending messages from the client to the hub .
Particularly the features i am lacking the most are the ability to instruct the client system
to open specific URI address or to perform search in the hub (the address could be the
Help/FAQ pages of our DC netword,URLs to the latest torrents from a local bittorent
tracker we are monitoring , dchub:// links to other hubs in our network and so on ... .
The search will allow users to seemlessly locate the new materials available in the hub
with keywords provided from our resource tracking system for instance).
Last edited by zahary_k on 2004-09-04 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2004-09-03 16:54

So if a user typed something like +searchnew it would open a search window with your predifined search terms and execute the search?

And +FAQ would spawn a new browser window with the proper URL to your FAQ site?

How would links to a bittorrent tracker be handled exactly? That is actually possible now since double-clicking on an http:// link opens it client-side.

zahary_k

Post by zahary_k » 2004-09-03 17:19

thanks for replying.

I'm talking about the $UserCommand type of commands.
New category (<type>) shall be added to handle the proposed functionality
(eg. $UserCommand 4 3 DC++ Home Page$http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net |)

bittorent registers himself with the browsers so when they try to navigate to URL
ending with ".torrent" they automatically download the torrent and initiate bittorent
download.
Even with our current setup in which the torrent links are sent to the main chat
users could experience instant double-click-the-link download .

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-09-03 17:38

I would like to see this as well. Naturally they should include magnet links. Including /commands is something that could be used nicely also.