Dc++ new version (0.4032)

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Longhorn

Dc++ new version (0.4032)

Post by Longhorn » 2004-08-16 06:02

DC++ .4032 is nice but there's something that I really don't like, the new unfinished file extention thing, that DC++ adds the *.dctmp extention to all of the files, I don't know why this is good! When I download mp3s I always start listening to them before they get finished, but now I just can't because windows doesn't recognise the extention...
Yeah ofcourse I can associate the *.dctmp extention to a media player, but it's not the same...

This really bugs me, but for now I'll have to use the older version, but will all further versions do this? I hope not...

Oh, and I love the new icon :D

[EDIT: Added an explicit version number to the thread title. TheParanoidOne]

Lundis

Post by Lundis » 2004-08-16 06:35

Well get used to it, it's here to stay so OPs can kick you eaiser.
It's not going away if GargoyleMT and me can help it (not that I have any say in this).

You can however drag the files directly into winamp and it should play them, the same with videos.
Last edited by Lundis on 2004-08-17 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Dc++ new version

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-08-16 10:59

Longhorn wrote:This really bugs me, but for now I'll have to use the older version, but will all further versions do this? I hope not...
Well, later versions of DC++ may offer a real preview function - copy the incomplete file to your %TEMP% folder, rename it something more appropriate, then launch the associated program.

The temp file format is here to stay, unless you have a really compelling reason for it to change.

Longhorn

Post by Longhorn » 2004-08-16 11:36

Okay, thanks a lot!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-08-16 11:53

Longhorn wrote:Okay, thanks a lot!
Can you list which formats you try to preview?

svperstar

Post by svperstar » 2004-09-11 18:37

Hello,

Im having the same problem, and im going insane. I'm using my xbox as a htpc and this lame extension for incomplete files is just driving me nuts, I dont know about you people with slow connections, but I always start downloading a movie and then sit down and watch it while it downloads (through my xbox that is), so my problem is:

First of all I can only associate the dctmp extension to only one format, that means if i wanna play an mp3 before it finishes downloading - and i have bound the dctmp to videos - my xbox is going to hang. and vise versa.

Then say I bind the dctmp to the movie player - and start viewing a movie while its still downloading, DC++ wont be able to rename the file because its in use by my xbox, and therefore i'll have to rename it myself by hand.

Doesnt seem serious? Well i've been tearing my hair ever since i installed the new version of DC++. And im sure once we get some bandwith going and people want to view movies that arent completly downloaded - You might get more reactions.

/J.

iceman50

Post by iceman50 » 2004-09-11 21:22

one phrase young lad.... "patience is a virtue"
Infinitus est numerus stultorum - Infinite is the number of fools

Lundis

Post by Lundis » 2004-09-12 04:08

svperstar wrote: Then say I bind the dctmp to the movie player - and start viewing a movie while its still downloading, DC++ wont be able to rename the file because its in use by my xbox, and therefore i'll have to rename it myself by hand.
This is not related to the new naming style, if you lock the file with another program it's your own fault. DC++ has always renamed or moved finished files depending on how you set it up.

And you can in the right click menu for dctmp files add several programs that you use to preview them.

svperstar

Post by svperstar » 2004-09-12 05:37

Sigh, you dont seem to understand, I can preview files in windows fine since binding fileextensions is a bit more -- extensive. But not on the xbox, and the only way to make it work at all for viewing files is binding them to a specific format. The word 'preview' sounds wrong, im actually sitting down to watch the movie completly before it finishes.
DC++ has always renamed or moved finished files depending on how you set it up.
As far as i know DC++ never renamed files before ?

/J.

Punkishlyevil

Post by Punkishlyevil » 2004-09-12 09:57

It used to put some random characters at the end of a file name, before the extension.

Ernst

Post by Ernst » 2004-10-10 20:20

Punkishlyevil wrote:It used to put some random characters at the end of a file name, before the extension.
Not if you left the "incomplete download directory" field empty.
I also start watching movies before they're done. Once you get used to it, its the only way to live.
I can't just start watching the .dctmp file becouse then I get two copies of it onces it gets done. One that is the "real" one with the legit name and another one with the .dctmp name, and I don't allways have 700mb to spare.
So for now I'm going back to the .401 version, till someone (or myself) makes the little change in the sourcecode and compiles it.

crakkis

tha hash system..=S

Post by crakkis » 2004-10-13 06:53

Okay..
well I understanded that the hash system is here to stay..which is pretty same to me..(i hope there is some good things in it too) :lol: ...but i wonder why they have to be .dctmp...did dc++ want a new own file extension..wow u got it..no happy??.. :( ..im not..and many other too I suppose..why can´t the hash be just in the filename..like example:: winmx creates the hash in filename but not changes the extension...

i really love dc++ but why in the gods name it has to get more and more complicated everyday.. :shock:
dc++ user only becouse 0dc hasn´t been updated..for an century...8D

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-10-13 07:18

What's the problem with the extension?, you can do everything with a partly downloaded file that you could before.
The big reason for having the TTH in the filename is if you lose your Queue.xml you can rebuild it with the files themselves. In other words, the temp file holds all information needed about itself.
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

darwusch

Post by darwusch » 2004-10-13 08:01

To make everybody happy, only a small change could be made.
The naming order:
1) Filename
2) .<TTH>
3) .dctmp
4) .ext (real)

So the same as now, just shuffled a bit.
The files are still recognizable as a temp file and they can also be run (if possible at all).

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-10-13 10:51

That's not good, since they would then be included when someone was filtering for a specific filetype, and it would be harder to sort for dctmp files. No, it's perfect like it is now.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-10-13 22:07

I tend to think of not playing files because of the dctmp extension more of a problem with the media player than with DC++. :)

lewder

Post by lewder » 2004-10-17 07:17

Lundis wrote:Well get used to it, it's here to stay so OPs can kick you eaiser.
It's not going away if GargoyleMT and me can help it (not that I have any say in this).

You can however drag the files directly into winamp and it should play them, the same with videos.
In the past versions of dc++, one could just leave the 'incomplete files folder' empty and all would be fine. But now, sure, you can watch a video while downloading but it _wont_ rename or move to it's right place, which i guess people want :o

Anyway, why can't you just have it like it was before ? If i leave my 'incomplete files folder' empty, then i won't get these problems. Not everyone are on hubs where OP's _have_ to kick anyone you know.
When i die i want to be buried face-down so anyone that doesn't like me can kiss my ass.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-18 13:51

lewder wrote:Not everyone are on hubs where OP's _have_ to kick anyone you know.
Yes, but having them recognizable also prevents users from accidentally downloading them, believing them to be incomplete, and resharing them - which is ultimately why operators kick for incomplete files.

veikko--

Post by veikko-- » 2004-11-04 18:08

I liked the old style.

:x ) I have 100mbit and yes - i want to watch movies/listen music immeadately from my normal directory (example e:\download and just double-click) not from some temporary directory and also where all files look the same. (because of .dctemp)

:x ) I don't understand whats the problem with incomplete files?? Resuming has never been a problem to anyone has it ? For example, you have watched this one video earlier and then you want to show one specific spot in it to your friend. Let's say video length is 30min and the spot is located between 2-3 min. So just downloading the first megabytes is enough to get what from the first wanted. Well you get my point...

:x ) I don't know about public hubs but i use private ones. Never seen any corrupted files even they are incomplete.. I have always been able to download from one and then resume from the others if it was incomple.

SO AS A SUmmary, why did you have to "fix" it while it wasn't even broken? (my opinion) :( If you still think its good and a must have, why not make it like an option where hub keeper can deicide if that kind of system is needed or not.

regards .401 user :)