Hashing SUCKS

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Hitman

Hashing SUCKS

Post by Sir Hitman » 2004-08-14 01:10

Cant understand the good in it? It only slows your computer down. What files do ppl rename? Bad quality vcd/xvid movies and mp3s maybee.
Allot of ppl only download original rels (rar archives) and 4.3gb files take allot of time to hash, i dont refresh my share as i used to do, i download the files to folders outside my share and then maybe after a few days when i have nothing to do i might put em in my share.

Solution: Exclude Rar archives (user setting).

And the other thing that in public hubs lots of ppl rename files is only proof that public hubs sucks.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-08-14 03:05

so gee look another person who hasn't bothered reading the 100's of posts about hashing.

Alot of people do rename their files, I know I do occasionally, I like sets of videos named similarly so i rename them. Ok i normally only change one or two characters nothing that the search doesn't usually pick up anyway but i can fully see why people may do alittle more modification.

You can limit the speed of your hashing I suggest you look into that.

Hashing also opens up the dc++ world to all sorts of goodies that people want, like multisource downloads, error correction, better searching (Although you think it doesn't add that many results maybe it would be nice to remove some of the results that do not match ie some people share corrupt things), webpage url type ideas like sharereactor used to work on, hell it would even allow for metadata servers to start up so people can give more info about the files like bitrate and a personal rating system.

Hashing actually has alot of positives.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-08-14 06:34

since rar-releases uses very few chars in its names, its more likely that name-collisions occurs since they use standard filesizes aswell (stupidly chosen sizes aswell). Such collisions has occured (search the forum and you will see). So basicly it should be the other way around..
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Hashing SUCKS

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-08-14 08:30

Sir Hitman wrote:Allot of ppl only download original rels (rar archives) and 4.3gb files take allot of time to hash, i dont refresh my share as i used to do, i download the files to folders outside my share and then maybe after a few days when i have nothing to do i might put em in my share.
On my system, hashing works at 30megabytes per second, assuming little disk fragmentation. 4.3gb of files takes under 3 minutes to hash.

I suggest you check which mode your hard drives are in, and make sure it's Ultra DMA instead of PIO. Guitarm has an excellent post about how he fixed up his computer, and didn't notice hashing's impact nearly as much afterwards.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-08-14 23:30

I feel bad for people who complain about DC++'s hashing. I think if they ever ran a virus scan or defragmented they'd have a heart attack. :)

mgillespie

Post by mgillespie » 2004-08-15 04:13

Would just like to add something.

Whilst I see the benefit og hashing, on my setup it causes he headaches.

DC++ Takes about 5 minutes to start due to hashing, as all my shared files live on a remote network share, connected across a wireless LAN....

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-08-15 09:48

mgillespie wrote:DC++ Takes about 5 minutes to start due to hashing, as all my shared files live on a remote network share, connected across a wireless LAN....
It doesn't hash on startup - scanning remote directories for the share has always been slow, and shouldn't be any slower due to hashing. However, loading the hash database may slow things down, and scanning for duplicate hashes may slow things a bit.

For such setups, one of the "share cache" feature suggestions, of writing a special file on close, containing all the information necessary to omit a share scan on startup, would make more sense than any improvement to hashing.

carl0s

Re: Hashing SUCKS

Post by carl0s » 2004-08-24 18:06

GargoyleMT wrote:
Sir Hitman wrote:Allot of ppl only download original rels (rar archives) and 4.3gb files take allot of time to hash, i dont refresh my share as i used to do, i download the files to folders outside my share and then maybe after a few days when i have nothing to do i might put em in my share.
On my system, hashing works at 30megabytes per second, assuming little disk fragmentation. 4.3gb of files takes under 3 minutes to hash.

I suggest you check which mode your hard drives are in, and make sure it's Ultra DMA instead of PIO. Guitarm has an excellent post about how he fixed up his computer, and didn't notice hashing's impact nearly as much afterwards.
agreed try updating your UDMA, Ide busmaster drivers

DO NOT use default Microsoft windows drivers for your motherboards IDE
as the result in your bus getting choked when hashing and subsequent insanely slow computer

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-08-25 03:54

It seemed to be a fairly big step when DC++ started using TTH and regarding the fact that these functions are "concentrated" a bit towards disk I/O It became obvious that a lot of people haven't checked the transfer rate of I/O. As said before:
1. Update drivers to latest version
2. Check cabling to ensure 80-pin - UDMA 100/133 enabling
3. Defrag regurlarly

Another thing that might help (At least it helped me) was to remove all duplicates from the share. when doing automatic update of share these dup's take quite a while to process.

Regards
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."