Ability to view file lists as text or HTML

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

ljirvin

Ability to view file lists as text or HTML

Post by ljirvin » 2004-08-04 00:59

Here's what I'd love to see: The ability to convert DC++ file lists to text or HTML.

I'm basically lazy and haven't taken the time to come up with a file list for my non-DC++ friends. I'd love to be able to find a script that would parse my DC++ list and convert it to text that I could send to such friends.

Possible?

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-08-04 01:38

The newest format of the filelist is XML, that's readable for (most) browsers. just send the filesX.xml.bz2 file.Your friends and you can use for example Winrar to open/unpack the file and read it. simple as that :) , ok ?
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

Gasman1015

Post by Gasman1015 » 2004-08-04 01:57

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ljirvin

Post by ljirvin » 2004-08-04 03:16

Gasman1015 wrote:Lazy == Double posting
....or... maybe I thought:
a) I should post it to the correct forum this time
b) I could get the answer I wanted in this forum.

Guitarm, thanks for your suggestion, I appreciate it. Gasman1015, thanks for your assessment of my character, although I don't appreciate that quite as much as the help you gave me in the other forum. :-)

I understand where to find my file list on my hard drive, and that it's compressed, and how to uncompress it, and that it's in XML format. I also know that there are things such as newsreaders and aggregators that take XML code and convert it to plain text.

My FEATURE REQUEST, then is this...

** A menu option that converts file lists (including my own) to plain text **

... like an aggregator or newsreader would.

Call me lazy (wait... we both already did that :-)) but this would be a great feature to avoid doing double work. I see no reason to maintain my own separate file list when DC++ *almost* does a great job of that already.

I could then hand my list to the mass of "unwashed" who aren't yet into DC++ and let them know what they are missing.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-08-04 03:58

Oki, doki, Well......
1. Take a look at this (read it through) Howto suggest features
2. If rejected - code it yourself, this is a perfect opportunity to learn about Visual C++ programming both in general and to understand the quirks/intricasy's about Win32/ATL/WTL programming :) I've come to understand that for a feature to have any (read good) chance of being accepted, Arnetheduck (creator/main developer) want's a polished patch to look at so there's my best bet.

Regards
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

Gasman1015

Post by Gasman1015 » 2004-08-04 17:30

Not my assessment, your own admission(which I just so happen to agree with).

You have simply repeated what you asked for previously, could not be bothered to attempt to do it yourself even though you were given links to start you off.

Your intial post here does not state a feature request, but you have now changed direction( basically, you want someone else to do it for you).

As a feature request, it is in my opinion a waste of time and effort for the purpose you require.
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ljirvin

Post by ljirvin » 2004-08-04 17:38

Gasman1015 wrote:You have simply repeated what you asked for previously, could not be bothered to attempt to do it yourself even though you were given links to start you off..
I checked the links you gave (thanks for those by the way) but do not have the technical ability to do it myself.
Gasman1015 wrote:As a feature request, it is in my opinion a waste of time and effort for the purpose you require.
I humbly retract my request, your honor.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2004-08-04 19:38

a simple perl script could do it for you

I just wonder what's wrong with the xml format,
you can ctrl+f it in IE just fine, AFAIK.
what is better about plain text?
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-08-04 23:43

Guitarm wrote:The newest format of the filelist is XML, that's readable for (most) browsers. just send the filesX.xml.bz2 file.Your friends and you can use for example Winrar to open/unpack the file and read it. simple as that :) , ok ?
I tried that once with fusbar's list. It wasn't pretty. IE was using 250 megs of swap before I mananged to close it.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-08-04 23:48

personally i think its a bit of a pity the old dc++ filelist format was removed as it was basically plain text anyway.

Anyway, instead of doing a feature like this I suggest you look into the windows command "tree".

open a dosbox by going start -> run -> cmd -> press enter

then say you're sharing h:\stuff
type

tree h:\stuff

it should result in a nice list of things in that directory. tying

tree h:\stuff > c:\list.txt

should put the results in that file. However this board is not a tutorial for windows utils so I'll stop there, if you want more info "tree /?" or google it. I'm not at a windows machine atm so I can't guarrantee anything i just said.

ljirvin

Post by ljirvin » 2004-08-05 00:15

Sedulus wrote:a simple perl script could do it for you
I just wonder what's wrong with the xml format,
what is better about plain text?
XML is certainly better overall, I just thought it would be nice to have a list that was portable to non-DC users. I just need to learn how to parse the XML and all will be well!

ljirvin

Post by ljirvin » 2004-08-05 00:16

Twink wrote:Anyway, instead of doing a feature like this I suggest you look into the windows command "tree".
Twink! This is great! Thanks for the suggestion - it works pretty well.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-08-05 04:22

ljirvin wrote:
Twink wrote:Anyway, instead of doing a feature like this I suggest you look into the windows command "tree".
Twink! This is great! Thanks for the suggestion - it works pretty well.
hey no problem, makes more sense to me then people coding up something that already works well.

I did forget to add the /F to my commands earlier it turns on displaying files instead of just folders.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-08-05 10:33

Twink wrote:hey no problem, makes more sense to me then people coding up something that already works well.
Agreed, there's a whole class of programs already out there that solve this.

The simplest, you might see indexed is Winamp "Winamp Generated PlayList." I can't recall/locate any of the other programs, but if one looked...

ljirvin, this is best handled by not DC++, so I'm glad you found an alternate solution.

Huvet

Post by Huvet » 2004-08-09 07:51

Just an addition:
Firefox can open xml-files and display them as a tree. Perhaps this is another reason for people to download and use it?

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-08-09 08:24

Huvet wrote:Just an addition:
Firefox can open xml-files and display them as a tree. Perhaps this is another reason for people to download and use it?
So can IE.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words