retry on username taken option

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

[A&AM]Fireball

retry on username taken option

Post by [A&AM]Fireball » 2003-02-28 04:02

plz do a lot of users a favour and add an option to retry connecting to a hub even if it says "username already taken" ...
if you get disconnected (95% of german ADSL users get disconnected every 24 hours f.ex.) you get always username taken 'cause thehub timeout is longer than the time you need to reconnect ... and since right now dc++ doesn't try anymore on thos error you don't reconnect automatically, and if you're not there at that time you stay out untill you're back ... :(
learn more about the [A&AM]Hubs: AnimeAndAsianMovies.de.vu

Splicer

Post by Splicer » 2003-02-28 04:07

That kind of a pain, I didn't know that.

Sounds like a plan to me, but don't be surprised when you irritate the hub owner and get banned.
"Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today. Indecision brings delays. Days lost lamenting lost days"

"I’m getting some kind of sick pleasure out of watching her squirm!?!........must be a perk!"

NoFiX

Post by NoFiX » 2003-02-28 23:34

I would like to see an option that would allow me to have my alias changed slightly to allow me to enter the channel. Example; nofix username taken, so it would reconnect with nofix1, etc...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-03-01 09:56

NoFiX wrote:I would like to see an option that would allow me to have my alias changed slightly to allow me to enter the channel. Example; nofix username taken, so it would reconnect with nofix1, etc...
As long as it's not done in what seems to be the NMDC way, where a person with frequent disconnects just keeps getting digits appended to their nick.

I think an IRC style alternate-character field might be nice, and just append that to the nick if it's taken. It should try first with the nick that's set in the preferences. If you have more than two clones on at the same time, you have more serious issues to worry about than if your nick is taken.

mo
Forum Moderator

Post by mo » 2003-03-01 10:38

I don't like the alt nick idea for 2 reasons.
1) if your nick is that common, it's hard to queue something from that person and get it at a later time if they disconnect mid transfer.
2) if you have an alt-nick, you could be online and people who have things queue'd from you would have to re-queue everything from you again...

a simple reconnect after x time is the best way to resolve this for the community.

On a side note, it would be nice if there was some additional information saved about the user your downloading a file from. (connection speed, dc client, email, descritpion, etc..)

If at some later date you try and dl from this person and get a "file not found" error, this information could be compared before the username is removed from the list of valid people to download the file from.

just a thought...

Phantom

Post by Phantom » 2003-03-02 18:18

I have been trying to implement this, but unfortunatly I can't seem to figure out how to make it retry the connection after x seconds. Any developers able to help me out?