"stop hashing" button

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

DaJaegga

"stop hashing" button

Post by DaJaegga » 2004-07-29 12:00

hi guys

my computer is very slow and when dc++ hashes files the cpu usage is 100% and the computer is as far as a snail.
i prefer to hash the files when i'm not using the pc (e.g. at night).

so a "stop hashing" button would be VERY usefull for users like me.

thanks

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-07-29 12:17

Experiment with the "Max Hash Speed" setting in Settings --> Advanced.

Or just leave it overnight to finish, as you mentioned.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-07-29 12:37

I understand what you mean with a "stop hashing" button, or perhaps it should be called a "hash me later" button. However.. the intent may be good, but it probably won't be used like that.

I have several programs that check for new updates daily. When a new update is found, i get a question if i want to go download it now, or get reminded again tomorrow.. Usually, i press the "remind me later" button for weeks (even months) before i get around to upgrading. A lot of users would probably do the same with hashing, and then we might as well allow them to turn it off, which we don't want to, since we want everyone to use hashes. See the dilemma?

DaJaegga

Post by DaJaegga » 2004-07-30 11:27

hm. yea that could be a real problem.
i tested the "hashing speed"-setting. the cpu usage was at ~ 30%, but the pc was still as far as a snail :(.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-07-30 11:33

DaJaegga wrote:i tested the "hashing speed"-setting. the cpu usage was at ~ 30%, but the pc was still as far as a snail :(.
What values did you try?

DC++ Guide | Words

carl0s

hashing gives me the irrates too

Post by carl0s » 2004-08-16 03:19

why not just untick
Options>Advanced
"Automatically Refresh Share list every Hour"

that will stop the hashing and force DC++ to only hash when you first open DC++

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Re: hashing gives me the irrates too

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-08-16 14:05

carl0s wrote:that will stop the hashing and force DC++ to only hash when you first open DC++
Refresh != Hash.

DC++ Guide | Words

skyfox77

Post by skyfox77 » 2004-08-19 08:18

Well sometimes I agree, could be useful, but as said, it could be abusive, maybe it could work for 5 minutes or something. If you for example move or unpack large files from/to thesame hardrive where DC++ i hashing on. It could be a nice Fearure to have a stop button. but it should only stop for example 5 minutes or something, and the continue.

Should be annoying enough for people that dont want to hash at all to press the stop button every 5 minutes.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-08-20 11:56

In that circumstance, limiting the hash speed (as you can do currently) is also a pretty good solution.

skyfox77

Post by skyfox77 » 2004-08-22 08:19

GargoyleMT wrote:In that circumstance, limiting the hash speed (as you can do currently) is also a pretty good solution.
That is not an "on the fly" option, even if you choose a hash speed of 1 the seektime on the drive decreses to a point that it doesnt make much good at all as I see it. I dont always want the hash speed to be low anyway.. just in some rare circumstances. Thats why the Stop button would be very handy.

carl0s

Post by carl0s » 2004-08-24 06:20

TheParanoidOne wrote:
carl0s wrote:that will stop the hashing and force DC++ to only hash when you first open DC++
Refresh != Hash.
Refresh does mean hash in most cases any new files DC++ finds in shared folders is the subsequently hashed, but it will only take couple minuites or so to complete

so if that is ticked once everything is hashed at start (takes 10-30 minutes on my Athy) and will not begining hashing ever again

my DC++ goes for 4-7 days before i restart DC++ and it hashes again

But one word to all of you
if hashing is slowing your computers down
Hashing is HDD dependant so

DOWNLOAD updated IDE/DMA drivers for your motherboard and DONT use the default windows/ microsoft IDE BUSMASTER drivers because that is when your system chokes even more then outdated drivers

i recently went to motherboard makers site and updated my IDE drivers (i had outdated 1.0 version) and now the system doesnt hang or drag on when hashing.

before you bitch and moan your computer is slow

I have
celeron 333MHZ
Abit mobo intel udma 33
it had Microsoft DMA drivers and literally took 28 hours to hash
i updated them
hashing still takes couple of hours
but cured the utter useless computer during hashing Syndrome

Athy 1800+
K7s5a
ATA 100 seagate 120gig

on both these system before updating DMA/ IDE drivers Winamp pplaying songs while hashing = 50-80% of realtime mp3 playback speed (sounds awful)

What is the consequences of stop hashing button????
people will abuse it because no hashing = no multisource support no TTH file identifier
reduced amount of available share (assists in fake sharing) hash 10gig of 110gig and stop it

NEVER EVER EVER implement this request please!!

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-08-24 07:08

carl0s wrote:
TheParanoidOne wrote:
Refresh != Hash.
Refresh does mean hash in most cases any new files DC++ finds in shared folders is the subsequently hashed, but it will only take couple minuites or so to complete
Again, refresh does not mean hash. Refreshing is the process of traversing all shared directories and making a list of the files found.

Hashing is the process of generating a TTH for a file.

The two processes are independent of each other.
so if that is ticked once everything is hashed at start (takes 10-30 minutes on my Athy) and will not begining hashing ever again
This is incorrect. The hashing will continue until it is completed. Whether or not this option is ticked is irrelevant.

DC++ Guide | Words

carl0s

Post by carl0s » 2004-08-24 09:20

:o
Last edited by carl0s on 2004-08-24 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

carl0s

Post by carl0s » 2004-08-24 09:29

TheParanoidOne wrote:
carl0s wrote:
TheParanoidOne wrote: Refresh != Hash.
Again, refresh does not mean hash. Refreshing is the process of traversing all shared directories and making a list of the files found.

The two processes are independent of each other.:
carl0ski wrote:so if that is ticked once everything is hashed at start (takes 10-30 minutes on my Athy) and will not begining hashing ever again
TheParanoidOne wrote:This is incorrect. The hashing will continue until it is completed. Whether or not this option is ticked is irrelevant.
"once everything is hashed"
eve·ry·thing
1. All things or all of a group of things.
2. All relevant matters: told each other everything.

"once All things or all of a group of things. is hashed (takes 10-30 minutes on my Athy) and will not begining hashing ever again, until restart."

well it takes 10-30 minutes for hashing of my share on my machine to complete (you should notice the bottom left corner of DC++ there is a dialogue of current status) if it says hashing file it's hashing
file list refresh finished (it has compiled and compressed a new file list Including TTH root info)

TheParanoidOne wrote:Again, refresh does not mean hash. Refreshing is the process of traversing all shared directories and making a list of the files found.

The two processes are independent of each other.:
see this i agree with but why you assume i believe otherwise?

i never claimed hash and refresh was one task
(i chalenge you to show the exact quote i claimed that)
hell i challenge you to make one up

do you even know what 'subsequently" means?
subsequently, later, afterwards, afterward, after, later on
Refresh does mean hash in most cases
Obviously you misunderstood this

My Broken car means extra cost
Lots of drinks tonight means major hangover tommorow
(Now/catalyst) means (Subsequent result)

there, two completely different things but can be linked

get the gist??

if you need more english lessons i can't help you
maybe your only friend Wintel will tutor you

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-08-24 10:51

Locked - this "discussion" can't go anywhere productive.

carl0s, I'm glad your systems are functional during hashing now.