probably a bug or two?

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Nameless Cyborg

probably a bug or two?

Post by Nameless Cyborg » 2004-07-28 12:02

Yo

I know, it's not right to post this anywhere, but the bug pages don't work, and i really tried to get there.

So, the first thing i encountered with 4.03 (i know, it's unstable):
I could d/l my own files, and found them in the search (with a very good ping too :p)

and the second thing is (also 4.03):
most files wouldn't finish, always rollbacks, and that never happened befor, now i use 4.01 again, and still crappy files, i really have to delete all files, and restart (all big files = around 15GB already redy files too :( :( )

and the third thing:
anyone encountered problems with NetLimiter ?
I use it, cause i am not the only one in this line, and if i don't nobody else can even log on MSN, cause DC++ eats allressources :p
maybe could this NetLimiter produce this rollbacks too ?

would make me very happy to get some replies, cause dc++ is my only friend :P
greeeetz

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: probably a bug or two ??

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-28 12:48

Nameless Cyborg wrote:I know, it's not right to post this anywhere, but the bug pages don't work, and i really tried to get there.
Bugzilla is driven by the same database that this forum uses. During some hours as of late, the number of available connections to the database are very low, making it hard to get here. However, it's still the only place to post any bugs or feature requests.
Nameless Cyborg wrote:So, the first thing i encountered with 4.03 (i know, it's unstable):
I could d/l my own files, and found them in the search (with a very good ping too :p)
0.403 is NOT unstable, it's just a label so not everyone goes and downloads it. Finding your own files is fixed in the development version. There's no ping, though, and never has been in DC++... And DC++ should throw an exception if you try to download from yourself.
Nameless Cyborg wrote:and the second thing is (also 4.03):
most files wouldn't finish, always rollbacks, and that never happened befor, now i use 4.01 again, and still crappy files, i really have to delete all files, and restart (all big files = around 15GB already redy files too :( :( )
Hmm? 0.401's behavior is identical to 0.403's with respect to rollback buffers. You have to go back to 0.306 to see a change in that code. Have you been able to get any specifics to this problem? It's really too generic to help with - except with the same advice that's been repeated before on Help/Support, which basically boils down to removing software firewalls (ZoneAlarm especially) and seeing if you still get the problems.
Nameless Cyborg wrote:and the third thing:
anyone encountered problems with NetLimiter ?
I use it, cause i am not the only one in this line, and if i don't nobody else can even log on MSN, cause DC++ eats allressources :p
maybe could this NetLimiter produce this rollbacks too ?
I advocate using BCDC++ instead of NetLimiter. Yes, since NetLimiter is an application that affects your network stack, it could be the cause of your problems. I don't know how likely this is.

Please try BCDC instead. And if you feed me the line "not all hubs allow BCDC" I'll garrote you. Most hubs also don't allow NetLimiter.
Nameless Cyborg wrote:would make me very happy to get some replies, cause dc++ is my only friend :P
greeeetz
I understand completely, my computer is my only friend. See my account description. It proves it.

Nameless Cyborg

Post by Nameless Cyborg » 2004-07-28 14:01

first of all thank u very much for your nice reply Gargoyle :)
There's no ping, though
yepp, i mean, it is at the first place in the serch list (and there are normally the fastest ones, as i recognized (or seem to have recognized) during the years.
and that should be around the same, as a good ping - or not ?
Finding your own files is fixed in the development version
what is that ?
And DC++ should throw an exception if you try to download from yourself.
nope, DC++ did d/l my own filelist.
removing software firewalls (ZoneAlarm especially) and seeing if you still get the problems
uhm, i switched to 401 again, and it rolls back most of my big files (like 100MB or bigger)
but not all files.
before i tried 403, everything was fine with my firewall (Agnitum Outpost), so why should it be the firewall now ? But maybe the NetLimiter, i got to check it out...
Have you been able to get any specifics to this problem?
well, those files, that don't finish (rollback all the time) get not a real connection, and mostly hang around 0kb/s and then u can see "rollback" (i think in the moment, where the connection establishes a speed at all)
I advocate using BCDC++
okay, i will check this too, can i import my DC++queue there too ?
I understand completely, my computer is my only friend. See my account description. It proves it.
hehe ... i hope we both find some good friends soon, i mean humanoid friends :p
greeetz

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-28 22:06

Nameless Cyborg wrote:yepp, i mean, it is at the first place in the serch list (and there are normally the fastest ones, as i recognized (or seem to have recognized) during the years. and that should be around the same, as a good ping - or not ?
Ah, I understand what you're saying. Sure, it's a measure of latency, as is ping, it's just not literally "ping", so that caught my eye.
Nameless Cyborg wrote:
Finding your own files is fixed in the development version
what is that ?
The development version? arnetheduck stores DC++'s source in CVS hosted by sourceforge - everyone else checks out he code and tests it. That's why you can see a partial changelog from the not-released 0.404 if you browse the CVS repository.
And DC++ should throw an exception if you try to download from yourself.
nope, DC++ did d/l my own filelist.

Code: Select all

// Check that we're not downloading from ourselves...
	if(aUser->getClientNick() == aUser->getNick()) {
		throw QueueException(STRING(NO_DOWNLOADS_FROM_SELF));
	}
Then, the above code is somehow broken... Can you reproduce the list download? I'd like to get some steps so I can reproduce it so I can fix the misbehavior...
Nameless Cyborg wrote:uhm, i switched to 401 again, and it rolls back most of my big files (like 100MB or bigger) but not all files.
before i tried 403, everything was fine with my firewall (Agnitum Outpost), so why should it be the firewall now ? But maybe the NetLimiter, i got to check it out...
Well, there are no significant changes to downloading behavior in between 0.401 and 0.403 that would cause such problems. Nearly any problem in DC can be temporal as well - depending on who you're downloading from, at the very least. I just don't like unsubstantiated talk of bugs, when I've seen no problems myself. (Substantiated is fine - just talk in specifics and give steps to reproduce what you see.)
Nameless Cyborg wrote:okay, i will check this too, can i import my DC++queue there too ?
BCDC++ is a DC++ mod, so the same configuration file and queue will work. It doesn't hurt to back up your .xml files, just try it, you'll be surprised at how easy switching back and forth is.

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-07-29 04:19

GargoyleMT wrote:Then, the above code is somehow broken... Can you reproduce the list download? I'd like to get some steps so I can reproduce it so I can fix the misbehavior...
Didn't DC++ used to tell you something like "You can't download your own filelist silly!" or suchlike? Well, it doesn't anymore (DC++ 0.403 vanilla). Or atleast, i havn't gotten that message when trying. However, it still doesn't queue up my filelist or start loading it, so that part still works, here.

Nameless Cyborg

Post by Nameless Cyborg » 2004-07-29 04:43

Can you reproduce the list download? I'd like to get some steps so I can reproduce it so I can fix the misbehavior...
How can i help u there ? I just was using DC++ and suddenly i recognized, that there was my own file list dowloaded.
(Substantiated is fine - just talk in specifics and give steps to reproduce what you see
yepp, i undertand u, and i really would like to help. But how can i specify that ? I am no progger/coder ... what possibility is there, to give u more Info ?

and thanks for the tipp with BCDC++ it is very cool :D the d/l and u/l rates are much more constantly than in DC++ and i have no more those zero b/s connections (because of my provider/bad infrastructure/slow connecion) and no more rollbacks :D :D

greetz

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-07-29 04:50

Nameless Cyborg wrote:
Can you reproduce the list download? I'd like to get some steps so I can reproduce it so I can fix the misbehavior...
How can i help u there ? I just was using DC++ and suddenly i recognized, that there was my own file list dowloaded.
(Substantiated is fine - just talk in specifics and give steps to reproduce what you see
yepp, i undertand u, and i really would like to help. But how can i specify that ? I am no progger/coder ... what possibility is there, to give u more Info ?

and thanks for the tipp with BCDC++ it is very cool :D the d/l and u/l rates are much more constantly than in DC++ and i have no more those zero b/s connections (because of my provider/bad infrastructure/slow connecion) and no more rollbacks :D :D

greetz
so did you queue your own filelist for download, or was it added say automatically by the download filelist search function?

Nameless Cyborg

Post by Nameless Cyborg » 2004-07-29 04:58

or was it added say automatically by the download filelist search function?[
yepp, automatically.

greeetz

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-07-29 05:41

Todi wrote:Didn't DC++ used to tell you something like "You can't download your own filelist silly!" or suchlike?
That's what the "throw QueueException(STRING(NO_DOWNLOADS_FROM_SELF));" line should be doing.
Nameless Cyborg wrote:yepp, i undertand u, and i really would like to help. But how can i specify that ? I am no progger/coder ... what possibility is there, to give u more Info ?
You don't have to be a programmer/coder/whatever to help find bugs. If you see something that shouldn't be happening and can reproduce the steps that cause that undesired behaviour, that's useful information.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Nameless Cyborg

Post by Nameless Cyborg » 2004-07-29 06:08

okay, but then i can't give u more info now, it's just that i saw my list when i returned to my PC to check DC++. I will take a closer look, when i am back from work again ;)

greeetz

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-29 08:12

Nameless Cyborg wrote:
or was it added say automatically by the download filelist search function?[
yepp, automatically.
Thanks. The auto-match code doesn't expect to be receiving your own search results, so it doesn't have such a check. I don't think one is necessary, since DC++ won't send results to itself anymore.

I second what TPO says:

TheParanoidOne wrote:You don't have to be a programmer/coder/whatever to help find bugs. If you see something that shouldn't be happening and can reproduce the steps that cause that undesired behaviour, that's useful information.
I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear that any user can do that.

Nameless Cyborg

Post by Nameless Cyborg » 2004-07-29 08:23

I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear that any user can do that.
no problem :) i didn't know, how to tell u more specifically.
I don't think one is necessary, since DC++ won't send results to itself anymore.
ah, will that be implemented in the new version ?cause it was 0.403, when it happened.

greeetz