File searching system

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

DDH_Diamond_Dog

File searching system

Post by DDH_Diamond_Dog » 2004-07-18 17:01

Anyone anoyed with extensive incomplete files in your queue and dont want to search alternates for each file... i have an idea ... .how about a file searching systen that scans your queue and searches the items in your queue without you having to spend hours manually searching ..... i kno a little trich but not alot of hub owners like it by searching extensions but this uses lots of bandwidth .... we need a way of doing the same thing but for filenames that uses minimal bandwidth ..... im not a programmer i am a network engineer so i dont kno how to implement it but its still a fair arguement to think about

[DDH]

Lundis

Post by Lundis » 2004-07-18 17:08

That has been in dc++ for a long time.
It's automaticly search for alternate download locations in advanced settings.
It searches for a filtered name from the filename, this is not very smart and you can enter a useful search string in your download queue for each file.
Even smarter is using TTH searching if you have dc++ 0.307 or newer.

And don't search for extensions, a client will only return 10 files, no more.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-18 21:36

Lundis wrote:Even smarter is using TTH searching if you have dc++ 0.307 or newer.
Yes, as far as searching goes, TTH is much better than searching by filename. You get exact matches, regardless of filename. And your search takes less CPU time on everyone else's computer.

If you have a bunch of pre-existing partials from before hashing, the auto-searching option will let you whittle them down.