UNC Paths for shares!

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

bane

UNC Paths for shares!

Post by bane » 2004-07-13 17:17

Using mapped drives SUCKS! Timeout after Timeout of the active connection drops the map enough that DC++ wont see it, open up My Computer, the mapping is still there, but out on the other computer the connection to the drive is lost.

We have this happen all the time with other apps, they arent resiliant enough to reconnect the session so in essence your share just drops off the face of the planet!

Personally I suppose I can deal with mapped drives, however, this would be a great idea:

I think the default timeout on a session connection (when you first map the drive or when you first open the mapped drive) is around 15min, so 15 min after you map it, the session deactivates, because if its a WinXP machine it only can have 10 connections, OR if you only have 10 CALs (Client Access Licenses) on your Windows 2k3 Server it would make sense for the server to 'soft drop' the active connections.

In any case, UNC paths would fix this, or adding some type of KeepAlive for the mapped drives that just periodically reads something off each of the shares every 5 min...

Anyways, my 2 cents.

bane

BSOD2600
Forum Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 » 2004-07-14 01:10

I just tried to share a UNC path in 0.403 and it worked fine.

Code: Select all

<Directory>F:\My Music</Directory>
		<Directory>E:\DC Share\Screeners</Directory>
		<Directory>\\study\c$\temp</Directory>
Also the DC++ changelog...
-- 0.306 2004-01-09 --
* Fixed an issue with UNC paths (those starting with "\\")

What version of DC++ are you using?

You're also using a different method of sharing folders (mapped vs UNC name), which makes a difference. The issue you experiance with mapped drives becoming "soft disconnected" is not a DC++ problem. It happens with WinXP and Win2K natively. You might want to consider sharing folders via their UNC paths now instead of mapped drives to circumvent this issue.

To allow sessions to be permanently connected, go to the file server, get to a command prompt and type: net config server /autodisconnect:-1

The default value for idle session disconnection is 15 minutes, this will make it indefinate. If you'd rather specify a time, replace -1 with the time in minutes ranging from 1-65535.

You will need to reboot the server afterwards for the change to become effective.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-14 10:44

Mapped drives aren't a problem for me (I use Samba). If you want to test UNC drive sharing, please respond to this bug (or add one in the new tracker) and I'll enable the browsing of network paths in the Add Directory browser.

bane

Well I will upgrade to 4.03 then!

Post by bane » 2004-07-15 11:41

As much as I like using the stable stuff why not!

Thanks for putting in the UNC, I really have no need to browse via the standard network browser, its always alot longer and more arduous than just grabbing the path in explorer and pasteing it into a textbox...

Thanks for the help folks!

bane

bane

?!? Where!

Post by bane » 2004-07-15 12:04

Ok, so I upgraded to 4.03, to no avail. Where is it that I can put a UNC path in?!?

I suppose its somewhere NOT in the settings panel!?!?!?

Putting a little textbox with an ADD button into that share directories part of the share panel would be a nice addition.

bane

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-15 12:59

I understood that BSOD manually edited his xml to add those paths. Did you?

You may be able to drag and drop as well, though.
Last edited by GargoyleMT on 2004-07-15 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-07-15 13:01

If there is no user-interface you can always edit the DCPlusPlus.xml file bu hand. Opening it in notepad or any other editor and search for "<Directory>" and you will see howto, there is an example higher up in this thread...

i-haven'-tried-it-using-any-ui-for-long-since-UIs-is-in-the-way-'ly'ers ;))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

BSOD2600
Forum Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 » 2004-07-16 00:57

GargoyleMT wrote:I understood that BSOD manually edited his xml to add those paths. Did you?.
Actually, I browsed the network and selected a folder on the remote computer and shared it (although, I cheated because I really used the recently used network paths cached in win2k). I showed the Directory bit just to show I was using a UNC network name instead of mapped drive. I don't see why one couldn't manually add in a UNC path to their XML file.

Having a text box pop up that would allow you to manually enter in the UNC path is only some what helpful. If you have a properly functioning Microsoft network, then you should be able to browse My Network Places -> Entire Network -> Microsoft Windows Network -> Workgroupname -> Computer -> Share and add a folder.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-16 19:31

Well, changing from a [Add Directory] button to [ Edit box ] [ browse] [Add] [Remove] sounds fairly rational.

There's a flag that controls whether or not the browse dialog will show you the Network Neighborhood, that's what I was gong to turn on/off.