Certain user download blocker(not upload blocker)

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Splicer

Certain user download blocker(not upload blocker)

Post by Splicer » 2003-02-25 04:58

It may seem like an odd feature but I find certain people I download from at very slow speed.(200b, 300b, etc)

Now I would like to give the slot im not really using(I don't consider 300b a download) to someone who could use it.

I could turn off features to fix this problem, but I would rather not, seeing how it would be easier just to block certain people.

Just to clarify, a feature to block me on my side from them, not them from me.
"Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today. Indecision brings delays. Days lost lamenting lost days"

"I’m getting some kind of sick pleasure out of watching her squirm!?!........must be a perk!"

Snooze

Post by Snooze » 2003-02-25 05:10

Hmm..not a bad idea!

Like an "Ignore" user feature..and perhaps even a "dont download from users with less than Ex: T1 connections" feature :)

Splicer

Post by Splicer » 2003-02-25 05:17

Could relieve alittle stress from hubs.(what with the high latency and all)

Makes thing a bit more efficient.(a least im my mind)

It would be your choice so no losses there, and if its a temporary thing you can always just reinstate downloads from them.
"Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today. Indecision brings delays. Days lost lamenting lost days"

"I’m getting some kind of sick pleasure out of watching her squirm!?!........must be a perk!"

Menchi

Post by Menchi » 2003-02-25 06:21

Yes, lets ignore those who the "small send buffer" does not work, or those who get "pushed out" by other connections.

I think it’s an important issue you brought up.

Should we 'redirect' inefficient connections?
Also could we give an extra slot reserved for modems/slow connections?

Ideally I personally would have:
3 slots open for general use
1 extra reserved for modem connections only
1 auto granted for friends (people in my favorites)
1 auto for uploading what I’m downloading (ala BitTorrent)
And 2-3k of unused upload for using the Internet in general.

I generally have some subset of this setup going anyway, but I don’t like to have to micro-manage everything.

I think there could be a more elegant solution than the current ‘auto open extra slot’. The more I think of it, the more I see the O: as a "this is my target speed" tag. As slots become more irrelevant, desired (upload) connection speed (k/s) is the major defining attribute, ping being secondary (if at all useful).