Purposal to new useful Connection Type!

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

warpi

Purposal to new useful Connection Type!

Post by warpi » 2004-07-02 19:24

Hi!

:x The connection type which people select is not correct!
Currently the connection type that excist to choose between is really not useful. People don't change the default setting and if they do they use to change to a setting which is not the correct one, because then people don't slow down their upload.

:idea: How to make it better?
The absolut best thing would be to make it display what total average and total maximum upload speed you have. This will display much better useful information both for hub-owners and other hub-users.

:!: Please reply with your comments and other purposals to this.

Thanks in advance!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-02 19:57

Hi, the ability to edit the connection type (which is a preferred way to change it instead of adding connection types piecemeal) is already in the old feature tracker:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=427635

Nobody has put it in the new tracker: http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/bugs/

Displaying the highest upload and download rates is not something I'd like - but allowing people to enter the speed of their cable or dsl (see above) would be fine.

warpi

Post by warpi » 2004-07-03 02:31

GargoyleMT wrote:Hi, the ability to edit the connection type (which is a preferred way to change it instead of adding connection types piecemeal) is already in the old feature tracker:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=427635

Nobody has put it in the new tracker: http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/bugs/
But dooh? That is just because it's not a compulsory.
GargoyleMT wrote:Displaying the highest upload and download rates is not something I'd like - but allowing people to enter the speed of their cable or dsl (see above) would be fine.
:evil: Fucking retard! Didn't you read what I wrote? Peolpe don't know what do choose or choose 28.8 because then people don't donwload from them.

Then many people use NetLimiter or other software to limit the bandwidth and therefore it goes slow to download.

If this was added as COMPULSORY instead, hub-owners could put scripts to check out what upload speed people have, and set rules depending that. etc etc...

Please read it through twice or more if you don't understand.

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-07-03 02:50

Indeed. I've no idea why your clear and cogent exposition of the obvious necessity of the proposed feature didn't convince Gargoyle. I will enthusiastically join your righteous and long-overdue outcry for this critical piece of the DC network.

Or, well, no.
I won't.
Your sophisticated argument does befit, I suppose, a pompous, egotistic ass.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-03 10:25

warpi wrote::evil: Fucking retard! Didn't you read what I wrote? Peolpe don't know what do choose or choose 28.8 because then people don't donwload from them.

Then many people use NetLimiter or other software to limit the bandwidth and therefore it goes slow to download.
Oh, I understand you. I just don't agree.

If you can back up your assumption that people artificially pick low connection speeds, then use netlimiter to mimic that speed, I'd be happy to hear it.

If hub owners would like to do this, they can do the same that the exclusive 10mbit Swedish hubs do - start maintaining a list of ISP IP ranges along with the connection type (dsl/cable) that is likely offered, along with the speed. They can ban those that choose connection types that are inappropriate for the IP range they're on.

Yes, this requires one hub owner to have someone with programming skill code a plugin for their hubsoft. Once they do that, all the hub owners who want similar functionality can use their plugin.

Tell me, exactly how is DC++ supposed to determine the bandwidth you have and auto-generate the connection type? If you have each DC++ user maxing out their upload and download each time they start DC++, that's a lot of bandwidth, and there has to be a server on the other end capable of handling it all. For your information, 0.401 got 2.3 million downloads, or thereabouts. This feature, even were it a good idea from a feature point of view, is not good from a technical point of view.

You're free to respond as long as you form a coherent argument without resorting to calling names.