new search to search the file list..

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

crazy_dude1

new search to search the file list..

Post by crazy_dude1 » 2004-06-16 09:00

hi
I want to suggest to make one more search with the existing one "find"
what i saw find do the search for a specific file and as u click next focus keep on changing.

i want a kind of filter which can search for all files containing the input search string.
Like media library searc of winamp or window media player. ADL search is not enough .suppose once u selected from ur adl search strings avi so it will show all avi files but if i want to search themes too then i have to go back select theme in adl and again have to download files.
I think this kind of search will make the life lot easier..

So what other ppl thinks.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Re: new search to search the file list..

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-06-16 12:44

crazy_dude1 wrote:i want a kind of filter which can search for all files containing the input search string.
You've just described ADL search.
crazy_dude1 wrote:ADL search is not enough .suppose once u selected from ur adl search strings avi so it will show all avi files but if i want to search themes too then i have to go back select theme in adl and again have to download files.
I don't understand your justifications for why ADL search is insufficient. Please expand on it.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

crazy_dude1

Post by crazy_dude1 » 2004-06-16 13:21

i said adi search to be in sufficient because u can specify only once what u wanna search and that is before u download the the file list.....
After u have downloaded the file list from some user u don't have option to search another thing...............

besides this if there is a input field in that window itself (with the find* and next* button) then just type avi and press enter all avi files wud come again u wanna search movie themes then type theme and press and enter...... so simple...

Can u do this with adl search itself?????
U got only one chance to specify...... and for another search u have to specify ur field again and download the file again.....

Basically i have seen this excellent feature in shareaza and from there i put forword the idea...... even i will suggest replace the find* with this kind of search......

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-06-16 13:59

Ah, I think I understand you now. You want some live way to filter the file list in a similar way to the filtering that is possible in the public hub list. Is that correct?

DC++ Guide | Words

crazy_dude1

Post by crazy_dude1 » 2004-06-17 07:21

yeh absolutely same way...........

And i want to add one more thing that there must be a library of shared files too.
With the same search enabled......... cause if u r going to share so much thr is quite possiblity that u forgot this or that file..... so just when u wanna see whether this file is lying with you or not ....... u need go library just type the name and enter.........

again i have put foeward the idea from kazaa and shareaza . But i will strongly say these features are must for ease of life :)

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-06-17 11:51

crazy_dude1 wrote:And i want to add one more thing that there must be a library of shared files too.
You can open your own file list, so there is no need for a seperate "library".

DC++ Guide | Words

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-06-17 13:16

crazy_dude1 wrote:And i want to add one more thing that there must be a library of shared files too.
The plan (my plan) is to add that feature, eventually.

Since there's no flat mode (without directories) for file lists, a filter like the public hubs may not make any sense - there are other users who would like a search function that searches existing file lists, perhaps that's the best fit for you. A "Refresh" (or automatic refresh) of ADLSearch might do as well.

crazy_dude1

Post by crazy_dude1 » 2004-06-18 02:46

I am very happy to hear that a future version may include a library.

And now about new search. This is basically just like adl search but with more freedom that u just need to type the word not that u have go through whole process again.

And yes it is very much useful for me as u just said cause im using this feature in shareaza from last 2 years... and would u believe me everyone is fan of this filter.. U see if ur search results shows 3000 mp3s and now u want metallica u just need to filter that word thats it. And how do it matter that which folder the file in.U can just add a new thing on right click "go to the folder" like in sharescan.I know saying is much more easier than implimentation (plz don't get angry on this blah blah blah... :) ) besides this adl also don't show u the directry...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-06-18 21:50

crazy_dude1 wrote:And yes it is very much useful for me as u just said cause im using this feature in shareaza from last 2 years...
Shareaza 1.1 came out on June 28, 2002, so you must've been among the first adopters. Did that version really have filtering? ;) (This is jokingly kidding with you.)
and would u believe me everyone is fan of this filter.. U see if ur search results shows 3000 mp3s and now u want metallica u just need to filter that word thats it.
Filtering Search Results is an old, already requested feature. I though you were talking about file lists?
[ 833103 ] Filters locally applied on search results
And how do it matter that which folder the file in.U can just add a new thing on right click "go to the folder" like in sharescan.I know saying is much more easier than implimentation (plz don't get angry on this blah blah blah... :) ) besides this adl also don't show u the directry...
I'm confused. If you're talking about "Go to folder" from the search window, "Get Filelist" will do that. If you're talking about file lists, ADLSearch used to have that feature, and there are requests to bring it back. It's beginning to sound more and more like you want a local file search, or that it'd be best for what you want.

crazy_dude1

Post by crazy_dude1 » 2004-06-19 10:20

It's beginning to sound more and more like you want a local file search, or that it'd be best for what you want
Yeh u told the whole thing in a single line.. Thats really what i was asking for. It is an important feature of all local libraries.. besides this can be used to filter your searches. :)

And sorry about the shareaza fact. actully started using with its early versions but filter was included later.