selecting individual folders for auto search.

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

imb

selecting individual folders for auto search.

Post by imb » 2004-06-15 18:01

Firstly, i apoligise if this has been asked before, had a quick look through using the search but didn't find anything similar.

ok, i personally think the 'automatically search for alternative download locations' is a little irritating for a number of reasons. sometimes it can be helpful, others not.

This might be a bad idea, but i personally can't see any negatives. I think it'd be a good idea to be able to right click folders in your download queue and manually be able to select automatically search for alternative download locations for each one. something along those lines. a decent way to manually add individual folders i want to find more sources themselves automatically. maybe even files to. i personally think that would be incredibly useful.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-06-15 19:18

I've seen a suggestion or two for turning off auto-search for some folders. That's how it might get coded eventually - or turning it on from off as the default.

It'd probably be a check/uncheck, so users don't believe DC++ is auto-searching for those directories when they click on that option.

imb

Post by imb » 2004-06-15 19:56

"I've seen a suggestion or two for turning off auto-search for some folders. That's how it might get coded eventually"

well that way still would be completely irritating. if you add one individual file to your queue, that has 100s of sources, soon enough you get your queue automatically matched by the 100s of users. when you got the file off someone you could see had a slot in the first place. thus killing your download speed also which is even more irritating. makes the feature totally unusable.

it would make more sense to check the folders that you could see have little sources in the search results in the first place. it's backwords to do it your way. oh well, i guess few people must use the client as i do. thanks anyway. not even a right click from search results > 'download whole directory and auto search' option?

how often does it search for alternatives anyway? most of the time, when i search for something manually, i get "<Hub-Security> 5 sec timeout before next search !"

i think the whole thing needs a rethink.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-06-15 20:06

imb wrote:if you add one individual file to your queue, that has 100s of sources, soon enough you get your queue automatically matched by the 100s of users.
You're jumping around, you didn't talk about match queue in your original post, and that has been covered very recently.
how often does it search for alternatives anyway?
Changelog.txt wrote: -- 0.24 2003-03-11 --
* Doubled interval between autosearches (2 minutes now, and 60 between each research of the same file), this to ease the bandwidth load on busy hubs
i think the whole thing needs a rethink.
Interesting, there is room for improvement, but nothing that requires the existing system to be thrown out. What problems do you think a new solution needs to address?

AluminX
Account Disabled Due to Policy

Post by AluminX » 2004-06-16 02:42

hmm the new idea it's nice, eventhough i got to say autoSearch is an awesome Features especially now that more and more files r being released as split rar archives