Finished Dirs

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Locked

Should be added?

Yes
23
88%
No
3
12%

Total votes: 26

RobbeZ
Joined: 2003-01-07 00:09

Finished Dirs

Post by RobbeZ » 2003-01-07 00:18

Well this one is just cause it would be so damn handy 8)

If it would be possible to make DC++ do something like this
... once a dir gets removed from the queue (wich means that that dir is fully leeched), that that same dir gets moved into a custom set dir

What do you guys think about it :?:
Codito Ergo Sum

Nev
Programmer
Joined: 2003-01-03 13:29

Post by Nev » 2003-01-07 01:15

Can't vote, I don't get it!
[url=dchub://ancient.myftp.org]ancient.myftp.org - [BBB][Sunet][Tele2] ONLY! @ 20GB (ISP/IP/Share Scripted)[/url]

OLDoMiNiON
Joined: 2003-01-06 06:22
Location: Salford, England.
Contact:

Post by OLDoMiNiON » 2003-01-07 03:06

i was thinking the eaxact same thing yesterday!!!! :D

Nev, what he means is that when all the files in a folder, have been downloaded, the folder is then moved to a "finished folders" dir..

it will enable you to tell whether a whole mp3 album has been downloaded, so that you don't get incomplete albums etc...

Iceman[grrrr]
Forum Moderator
Joined: 2003-01-03 11:30
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Post by Iceman[grrrr] » 2003-01-07 07:58

I think you just have to check your queue to see if the folder is still there!
DC++ QoS Person

RobbeZ
Joined: 2003-01-07 00:09

Post by RobbeZ » 2003-01-07 08:50

Iceman[grrrr] wrote:I think you just have to check your queue to see if the folder is still there!
just 4 the nfo, I've quickly selected all the dirs in my DC++ down dir and I get a total of 124 :)

if you have a few dirs it's idd np, but the higher you go the more troublesome :roll:
Codito Ergo Sum

OLDoMiNiON
Joined: 2003-01-06 06:22
Location: Salford, England.
Contact:

Post by OLDoMiNiON » 2003-01-07 11:39

yeh, i think this feature is well worth implementing, cos like RobbeZ says, if you have maybe 50 albums queued up, it can get a big confusing..

Sedulus
Forum Moderator
Joined: 2003-01-04 09:32
Contact:

Post by Sedulus » 2003-01-07 12:53

there are some difficulties which will have to be sorted out

see:
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php? ... _id=186466
(but don't post there)

about RobbeZ last post there:
> how about this ... once a dir gets removed from the queue (wich means
> that that dir is fully leeched), that that same dir gets moved into a
> custom set dir

the filenames are now stored as
Target="DRIVE:\FULL\PATH\DONE_DIR\file"
your solution would mean that files that go to the DONE_DIR,
i.e. the normal files that you just click on,
won't be moved there until all those files have been completed

/sed
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

Iceman[grrrr]
Forum Moderator
Joined: 2003-01-03 11:30
Location: Québec, Canada
Contact:

Post by Iceman[grrrr] » 2003-01-07 13:59

well I don't think it is too good... I, for example, sort my downloads in different folders... I like to have each file moved upon completion when the dl is finished. I am not in album downloading though :wink:

Maybe if it is implemented, to select which folder we want to act like this and which we don't... like a checkbox in the queue window on something like that
DC++ QoS Person

RobbeZ
Joined: 2003-01-07 00:09

Post by RobbeZ » 2003-01-07 21:42

Sedulus wrote:there are some difficulties which will have to be sorted the filenames are now stored as
Target="DRIVE:\FULL\PATH\DONE_DIR\file"
your solution would mean that files that go to the DONE_DIR,
i.e. the normal files that you just click on,
won't be moved there until all those files have been completed

/sed
idd, that's the idea, unless there is a beter way to do this 8)
Codito Ergo Sum

RobbeZ
Joined: 2003-01-07 00:09

Post by RobbeZ » 2003-01-07 21:47

Iceman[grrrr] wrote:Maybe if it is implemented, to select which folder we want to act like this and which we don't... like a checkbox in the queue window on something like that
why not make it 4 all and that you can fill in the extensions for files you don't want this for, for exemple *.avi;*.mpg;*.mpeg;.... :)
Codito Ergo Sum

mojoland
Joined: 2003-01-16 23:44

New to DC++, and this forum

Post by mojoland » 2003-01-16 23:57

I'm new here but first want to thanks all the community.
I discovered this forum because I was searching how to know wich download is complete or not to move it in other HD area.

I think it will be a great thing to implement this function.

regards.
Mojoland :wink:

RobbeZ
Joined: 2003-01-07 00:09

Post by RobbeZ » 2003-02-04 22:20

Is it possible to put this option on the tracker? :?
Codito Ergo Sum

sarf
Joined: 2003-01-24 05:43
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by sarf » 2003-02-05 05:19

Not that I understand what you are exactly after, but you do know about the "unfinished" and the "finished" directories in the newer DC++ versions, right?

The files are stored in the "unfinished" directory while they are downloaded, then moved to the "finished" directory (and if you download an album or whatnot the files end up in "finished\directory name").

If I am wrong about what you wanted, please state explicitly what it is that you want.

Sarf
---
I think you had better start lining your hat with tinfoil.

Pycckuu
Joined: 2003-01-24 15:05

Re: Finished Dirs

Post by Pycckuu » 2003-02-05 05:42

RobbeZ wrote:Well this one is just cause it would be so damn handy 8)

If it would be possible to make DC++ do something like this
... once a dir gets removed from the queue (wich means that that dir is fully leeched), that that same dir gets moved into a custom set dir

What do you guys think about it :?:
i didn`t get it either :?:

RobbeZ
Joined: 2003-01-07 00:09

Post by RobbeZ » 2003-02-05 14:46

OLDoMiNiON wrote:i was thinking the eaxact same thing yesterday!!!! :D

Nev, what he means is that when all the files in a folder, have been downloaded, the folder is then moved to a "finished folders" dir..

it will enable you to tell whether a whole mp3 album has been downloaded, so that you don't get incomplete albums etc...
it's like OLDoMiNiON rephrases it :)
The idea is to stop searching in you files browser after dirs that have been completed 8)
Codito Ergo Sum

RobbeZ
Joined: 2003-01-07 00:09

Post by RobbeZ » 2003-04-03 05:26

Can anyone tell me if yes or if not they'll add this function to their to do list? :?
Codito Ergo Sum

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor
Joined: 2003-01-07 21:46
Location: .pa.us

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-03 08:36

Put it in the RFE tracker, but I think it might be there already.

The main problem is that there's no handy grouping of files into directories. I suppose that a link between them could be formed if you download a directory from the search, or possibly in the file lists.

Maybe. It'd only work if someone has separate incomplete and finished directories. I don't think there's a handy hook, so you'd have to intercept the "file finished" code in the download manager, and get access to the queue manager to read whatever tag would indicate that it was part of a directory download... then you'd have to see if there were other queue items with that tag (ie. if this was the last one) and if not, move the whole directory.

The path in the log file and finished manager wouldn't be correct anymore, but I guess that's not really a concern.

I'm not sure that I'm up for this right now, but perhaps someone else is.

Moch
Joined: 2003-03-21 22:29

Post by Moch » 2003-04-03 13:50

Maybe I missed a post, but I am not sure why this is such a hard thing to implement (if they have incomplete directories or not).

When you are downloading files and they are done they get removed out of the Queue... and when all the files in a directory are gone the directory in the Queue is removed as well. So, have an event triggered when a directory is removed from the queue when A. a file was just downloaded from the Queue B. There are no more files in the directory and C. the directory in the queue is deleted. All of these things need to happen, but these events should easily be linked. Once it happens then just display that the directory is finished downloading?

The reason we need to make sure a file was just downloaded and now the directory in the queue is empty, is because we don't want messages popping that a directory is down downloaded when we have manually deleted the contents and/or the directory from our queue.

This seems to make better sense then the direction of keeping track of what files in what directory have been downloaded.

~Moch

RobbeZ
Joined: 2003-01-07 00:09

Post by RobbeZ » 2003-04-03 15:26

I couldn't find it on the tracker, so it might be already there, but I'm not sure GargoyleMT.

Moch, they're both great ideas, but the last one seems the most easiest idd. (I'll just hope it's as easy to implement as you make it sound :))
Codito Ergo Sum

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor
Joined: 2003-01-07 21:46
Location: .pa.us

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-03 20:54

Ok, how about multi-level directories? That's why I thought about the fix the way I did.

Example: you click on a directory on a search result "Stuff." It has subdirectories named "Widget" and "Foobar." When all the files in "Widget" complete, should it be moved to the finished folder? Or should it wait until all of the files and directories in "Stuff" have been downloaded? It seems that the latter is the right way to do it.

Moch
Joined: 2003-03-21 22:29

Post by Moch » 2003-04-03 21:12

GargoyleMT,

Personally I would like to be notified when every directory is done, even the sub directories. I can see though your point and how some wouldn't want this.

The way I suggested is still easily managed though with an added "parameter". All you would have to do is specify in the Queue file which directory is the "root" directory of the download. Then, when the events are fired like I explained before, it will also to check and see if it is in a "root" directory. If not, it won't do the notification, if it is then it will. Simple! Also, doing it with the root flag would make it very easy to add the option to notify w/subs or not.. so we both would be happy :P Also... this would be real fluff.. but you would be able to easily "mark" sub directories in case you wanted to be notified of only some directories.

~Moch

not-a-jedi
Joined: 2003-04-04 04:29
Contact:

Post by not-a-jedi » 2003-04-04 05:29

Nev wrote:Can't vote, I don't get it!
maybe its because you have voted before for different poll with same ip.. i cant wont it eather... :twisted:

RobbeZ
Joined: 2003-01-07 00:09

Post by RobbeZ » 2003-04-04 22:59

not-a-jedi wrote:
Nev wrote:Can't vote, I don't get it!
maybe its because you have voted before for different poll with same ip.. i cant wont it eather... :twisted:
read the reply just under it 8)
Codito Ergo Sum

Locked