A request to wake up sleepers

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

sandokan

A request to wake up sleepers

Post by sandokan » 2004-05-24 01:16

Hi,

I am a long time user of mIRC, and as such I like the "user friendliness" of DC++. By that I mean that one needn't be on one's toes all the time looking for the next script or exploit that will harm one's system.

I would very much like to see a very simple feature implemented in DC, namely: when I am connected to my fav hubs and there is no activity going on (there are shares, but no-one is active as far as chatting and the like), I tend to minimize DC to my systray. It would be great if I could be informed by some flashing, or any change in the icon, of the moment when there is some activity going on, wouldn't you say?

It is the most requested feature in all the private hubs I frequent. Sure, one can always get a file list and dl whatever, but that's not the point, now is it?

Thank you for your time.

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-05-24 02:07

There already is the "Make an annoying sound every time a private message is recieved".. i believe some mods have expanded on this as well, with other sounds and even popups. Mainchat's are imho usually too active to need to be handled this way.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2004-05-24 04:10

Several clones have what you describe, but since no one to my knolwedge has contributed this piece of code back to DC++ if has not been included. Almost no clone-devs patch DC++, it seems to not be in their interest. To find out which does, see the changelog. ;))

does-some-random-ranting-about-clones-and-their-devs-ly'ers.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

sandokan

Post by sandokan » 2004-05-24 18:36

The sound when someone sends a PM is not a solution, and neither is to dl a clone of DC++. The solution is to implement a feature that simply changes the colour of the minimized icon when there is activity. That's all that'd be needed and that's the feature that I (amongst many others) would like to see incorporated in future builds of DC++.

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-05-24 19:26

sandokan wrote:neither is to dl a clone of DC++
Why not?

sandokan

Post by sandokan » 2004-05-24 21:08

Because I am trying to see a feature implemented in DC++, not to dl a copycat of it.

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-05-24 21:15

And here I was thinking
when I am connected to my fav hubs and there is no activity going on (there are shares, but no-one is active as far as chatting and the like), I tend to minimize DC to my systray. It would be great if I could be informed by some flashing, or any change in the icon, of the moment when there is some activity going on
is what you wanted. How silly of me.

If a clone accomplishes this, why not use it?

sandokan

Post by sandokan » 2004-05-25 01:10

You are missing the point. This is a DC++ forum where users request the features they would like to see implemented in that client. Your response is detrimental to the development of DC++. And yes, it was silly of you.

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-05-25 04:21

Simply put: You requested a feature that's not likely to happen any time soon because there are a thousand more important ones already waiting. Therefore you were offered an alternative solution (using a clone). The request has been noted, but unless it's added by you to the Feature request tracker i doubt much will happen.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-05-25 10:21

Todi wrote:The request has been noted, but unless it's added by you to the Feature request tracker i doubt much will happen.
Absolutely correct, Todi. The summary for this forum topic, and the sticky at the top states the same... It may not be documented sufficiently though.

I read the feature tracker every day or two, and that's where I look for features (unless something is utterly trivial and catches my eye when I read it). TheParanoidOne and Joakim also do an excellent job of policing the tracker.