I don't want the exact size in auto search

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

warwolf

I don't want the exact size in auto search

Post by warwolf » 2004-05-18 15:52

I'd like to have the feature : Do not check for exact size in auto search" as an option, cause when i'm downloading music, it rarely appen that file have all the same size. It offently vary of 1mb or more!!
If i make manually search for alternate, and i found for exemple, 1 files but, it's 1 mb bigger, i'll have to choose the right directory where the other files of this same album will go, and erase the other one that was 1mb smaller... that's long if i have to do this for every files... :(

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-05-18 15:59

I wish to profusely thank you for spreading corrupt files.

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-05-18 16:17

Wow, where are all the crackpots coming from? Seems to be flooding the forum lately.

Scope

Post by Scope » 2004-05-18 17:45

Lol, that was funny...haha

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-05-18 22:12

if a music file varies by 1MB or more it is either not finished, or encoded differently (ie higher/lower bitrate) surely it does not make sense to use files encoded differently as alternates? However, if there was a song you wanted and didn't care who you got it from or the size/quality of it, then it would almost make sense to have multple sources that are different, however when the download starts then remove all non compatible sources. You could just add each version of the song to your filelist manually however this wouldn't have the benefit of when one downloads the others are cancelled.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: I don't want the exact size in auto search

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-05-20 11:40

warwolf wrote:I'd like to have the feature : Do not check for exact size in auto search" as an option, cause when i'm downloading music, it rarely appen that file have all the same size. It offently vary of 1mb or more!!
I'm sorry that you're misinterpreting what the "search for alternates" feature is for. It's to find an exact-size, compatible file to resume your download from.

In paritcular, it's not designed to help you get any copy of a given song faster. That's why you have to pick the user with the most free slots, or the file with the most sources in the search result.

Sorry, but I don't think we can help you - please adapt your usage pattern to the way DC++ (and all other P2P applications I know of) works, instead of vice-versa. (But thanks for the insight into how some users use the program.)