Refresh > hashing > refresh

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Kajan

Refresh > hashing > refresh

Post by Kajan » 2004-05-18 01:58

Hmm it seems to me that a /refresh isent enough to update my list.

Think about it, this isnt just me its about.

If you Refresh your list (lets say for the first time) and then you have a couple of hours hashing. When the Hashing is finishes what happends with your list? nothing right?

So the TTH index given to the files wont be loaded into the list until you refresh it a second time.

Refresh > hash > refresh

So a feature that refreshes then hashes then do a "light" refresh that just adds the index to the files in the list would be great if this is possible.

This is hardf for me to explain but... if you want it in swedish i'll do that :P

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-05-18 16:00

The file list is refreshed every hour, anyway, so it doesn't matter that much. Plus, it's not like typing /refresh twice instead of once is that incredibly hard.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2004-05-18 21:04

PseudonympH wrote:Plus, it's not like typing /refresh twice instead of once is that incredibly hard.
sure.. but he wasn't being nasty about it
it felt like a kind decent feature request to me
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-05-18 22:08

I think this feature sounds fair enough, no need to do a full rescan of all the files but just write the filelist out again after hashing is finished. (if its not too expensive it could be updated a few times during hashing).

Naga

Post by Naga » 2004-05-19 06:40

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't DC++ save the hash enabled file list in files?.xml.bz2 and the others in MyList?.DcLst and MyList?.bz2. When reciving a request for a xml file list DC++ sends the files?.xml.bz2 list. This list get written when hasing is done. The others doesn't contain hashes so I don't see the problem.

Edit:
I correct my self :oops:
Thanks to all open source programmers!
They enable the rest of us to learn a lot!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Refresh > hashing > refresh

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-05-20 11:51

Kajan wrote:So a feature that refreshes then hashes then do a "light" refresh that just adds the index to the files in the list would be great if this is possible.
This shortcoming is on our radar, with hourly refreshes, this shortcoming of the current method doesn't have a significant impact, in my opinion, so there're other features/fixes that deserve to come first.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-05-20 11:53

Naga wrote:This list get written when hasing is done.
Actually the refresh and hashing are totally independent. When a hash is calculated for a file, nothing gets rewritten in the XML file list. When it's finished hashing totally, the XML does also not get rewritten. However, next refresh, the hashes are picked up and then the XML is fully populated with hashes.