Autodrop

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

TBO

Autodrop

Post by TBO » 2007-01-05 12:16

I think this function is great, but I do have an improvement suggestion.

I'd like to set multiple values for autodrop, like one for each selected file extension, or just to keep it simple, one for large files and one for small files. I'd also like to define slow filelists.

eMTee

Post by eMTee » 2007-01-05 14:35

'd like to set multiple values for autodrop, like one for each selected file extension
Why it would be useful?
one for large files and one for small files
You can set a minimal filesize for dropping. Isn't it enough?
I'd also like to define slow filelists
You can include filelists to dropping just like other files. You mean to be able to set up another group of parameters for filelists only?
Everyone's got their opinions - They'll tell ya 'bout 'em all the time... /* Spock's Beard */

TBO

Post by TBO » 2007-01-06 05:49

eMTee wrote:
'd like to set multiple values for autodrop, like one for each selected file extension
Why it would be useful?
High speed is preferable at all times, but many sources usually don't deliver more than 128 - 256 kbps. When I'm downloading large video files, speeds below 256 kbps is unacceptable. It works great so far, but there is a conflict when I'm downloading audio files at the same time. In that case speeds around 128 kbps is acceptable. I could ofcourse set minimal filesize for dropping as you suggest. I haven't thought of that myself for some reason.
eMTee wrote:
I'd also like to define slow filelists
You can include filelists to dropping just like other files. You mean to be able to set up another group of parameters for filelists only?
Yes. I don't know excactly what speed they're removed by, but last time I checked, they were removed around 3-4 kB/s. In my opinion that's too high. I've seen sources deliver filelists at speeds below 1 kB/s, and other files at stable, very high speed.

Another thing;
I've noticed that some connections drop down to 0 kB/s without getting closed. That probably means that the program measures avarage speed. I understand that it's for the better, but I think all connections should be monitored and closed if the drop down to zero.

eMTee

Post by eMTee » 2007-01-06 12:03

TBO wrote: I don't know excactly what speed they're removed by
If you see the Help all settings are well explained. According to the help and the source as well filelists are removed at the same speed what set for other files. Dropping of filelist should be enabled by setting of course. The speed is 1k/sec by default.
I've noticed that some connections drop down to 0 kB/s without getting closed. That probably means that the program measures avarage speed.
According the source it actually does. But also measures if no chunks are received within a predefined time interval. Its for compensating the average speed measurement and its value is 10 sec. by default.
Everyone's got their opinions - They'll tell ya 'bout 'em all the time... /* Spock's Beard */

TBO

Post by TBO » 2007-01-06 15:10

eMTee wrote:According to the help and the source as well filelists are removed at the same speed what set for other files.
That makes it useless in my opinion.
eMTee wrote:According the source it actually does. But also measures if no chunks are received within a predefined time interval. Its for compensating the average speed measurement and its value is 10 sec. by default.
Then what?

eMTee

Post by eMTee » 2007-01-06 16:38

You should wait for another reactions/opinions. Personally I don't believe there will be significant development of the autodrop function in the near future but who knows? AFAIK the function is made by paka (a contributor) may we can see his opinions here as well.

I'd rather propose some change of default settings instead. I think most users who use this great function will just turn it on using the default parameters without taking care of details and it can lead to unnecessary drop of sources.

IMO Max inactivity should be at least twice higher value by default. Also it worth to think about rising the default of the Min. filesize parameter to the amount of default Mini slot size. It would permit getting very small files from every source. And they can finish soon even from at extremly slow speed.

And because even the finest combination of settings can lead sometimes to accidentally dropped sources I strongly propose to set sources to be disconected only not dropped by default.

(Another minor problem with the setting Min sources online is the default value rised to 2 later, but the Help file still says the default value is 1.)