collection of filelist improvements

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

Pasqualle

collection of filelist improvements

Post by Pasqualle » 2006-07-22 17:06

these ideas of improvements are not really mine, but i agree with them, and should be take under consideration. most of the ideas are collected from dc forums.

1. multiple filelists
2. editable filelist
3. file descriptions
4. different main filelist

---
1. examples of different usable filelists
offline share - the files what i have somewhere, and i may share if somebody asks
private share - personal pictures and stuff, available only for selected users (for user group friends?, or set different privileges for different groups)

all files with correct TTH.
there are other possibilites of multiple filelists, like you can use it as some kind of file catalogizer.

2. different (changeable) filename, different directory structure in own filelist than it is physically stored on computer
examples of usability:
a) some users would like to show their share better than it is actually stored on harddrive. like d:\music + e:\music -> show 1 merged music folder
b) trivially essential for "offline share" filelist

3. if i can edit my filelist i may want to make comments on the files, which may be readable by others

4. i put this point also. there is an active topic about it, and i think this idea has more potentials than shortcomes. ok, i try to write an examle where this improvement is essential. most of you may not agree, but i try my best to convince you. for instance, i would like to start a new hub, but i don't want any illegal stuff, just a hub for fun. so i set 0 to minshare (but of course users can share if they want to), but i warn and kick anybody with illegal share. so, you can tell me now, that the hub will be empty then. i don't think so. dc++ isn't just about file sharing (it would be a nice slogan, indeed. or main favorite: dc is a free technical support for lame users. sorry, back to request). many users are using it for chat, i know it is strange (i think they are chat addicts, but i don't see it as a bad thing). and many users are searching for something which is legal, but can not be found anywhere (or hard to find, it sounds better,) on the net. so, if you want to help me fill this hub with users, the different filelist per hub is essential.

5. and of course, the compatibility issue. leave the current filelist as it is, we have other lists. problem solved.. hashing? no, you don't need to hash the same file twice, even you have two filelists (the original, and the enhanced one). and even you could make complatible filelist with very old clients (no, maybe not).

6. the ADC protocol seems very handy for all of these improvements, just think about it a little. like special parameter for search command for different filelist, and so on. i would not try to implement any of these with nmdc protocol.

sorry, i like to write it long, to make you think about it.. and i just can't stop if i am interested in something..

ullner
Forum Moderator

Re: collection of filelist improvements

Post by ullner » 2006-07-25 07:49

Pasqualle wrote:multiple filelists
Bugzilla: Allow uploads from other users and Bugzilla: Different shares for different hubs are quite relevant.

Merging folders have been requested aswell.
Pasqualle wrote:if i can edit my filelist i may want to make comments on the files, which may be readable by others
Why? It will increase the file list size enormously and to no (little?) gain.

I don't think adding another parameter to SCH (or GET) is useful or required.

Pasqualle

Post by Pasqualle » 2006-07-25 14:00

ullner wrote:..Bugzilla..
i wrote that the ideas are not from me.
but, i try to write the main request other way: multiple types of filelists. there is no relevant bugzilla subject.. the filelist is only one specially shared file. why can't we have more, when it has meaning..

file comments
ullner wrote: Why? It will increase the file list size enormously and to no (little?) gain.
sometimes, when you browsing someones filelist, you may encounter files that you don't know. think about, what can you do now, and what would be the best for you..
the comment does not need to be part of the filelist. you just need to know the file->comment association. (and the association also does not need to be part of the filelist..) or you can simply ask for the comment for the given file.
emule has some type of file comment, and it is great..

ullner wrote: I don't think adding another parameter to SCH (or GET) is useful or required.
there are many required new adc commands and parameters.. i have no doubt about it..
and that is the main power of adc, that you can add without losing something.. but of course: "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

i am writing too much again, i need some type of character count limitation.. write a request to phpBB? (a long request)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-08-14 19:07

Pasqualle wrote:the filelist is only one specially shared file.
No, it is a flat copy of an in-memory data structure that contains the files you're sharing. It is created on demand and may lag from the data structure it ostensibly mirrors.

That doesn't mean that your changes (or rather those of the people you're summarizing) can't be implemented, but don't try to simplify things too much.

Quattro

Post by Quattro » 2006-08-15 02:10

virtual merging of shared directories is as old as the more advanced ftp servers ^^
but okay... just kidding a little
it is implemented in fulDC allready
You can send a message around the world in 1/7 of a second; yet it may take several years to move a simple idea through a 1/4 inch of human skull.

Pasqualle

Post by Pasqualle » 2006-08-15 13:55

GargoyleMT wrote: .. , but don't try to simplify things too much.
sorry about that..