Automatic detection of IP is a one-shot feature.

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

skulder

Automatic detection of IP is a one-shot feature.

Post by skulder » 2006-07-02 07:47

And it shouldn't be, of course.

When i, in connection settings, select "Firewall with UPnP"(1), and leave my WAN IP blank, DC++ automatically determines my IP, and fill in the field.

This is a good feature and works all the time, and saves me time and trouble. I like it.

I would like even more, though, for DC++ to determine when my IP has changed. It does, quite often. (2))

Currently it works like this, though.

Whenever my downloads go to 0, i go to connections, delete the IP, change the ports two up (from 3501 to 3503, for example), and press okay. (3)

It would be really neat, if DC++ had this feature:
"When connections go to 0, redetect IP, change ports randomly within window [2500-3500]

(1) Thank you, Thank you, Thank you so much for implementing UPnP. It is great!

(2) (my router arbitrarily resets, bombs, chrashes and whatnot. It wasn't made for 10mb/s internet, I guess)

(3)(I change the ports because i suspect that my ISP blocks the port after too much traffic has gone through. I'm not sure. It works, anyway.)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-07-03 18:21

It sounds like you're voicing the same concerns as someone did in:
Bug 410: UPnP does not detect IP address change

It is a bug. But when I had a (more) dynamic IP, my solution was to make use of a dynamic host name. If you're using UPnP, you can do this still, just enable the "Don't allow hub/UPnP to override" setting. This is a cleaner solution, unless changing the ports is somehow integral to your problem?

skulder

Post by skulder » 2006-07-04 22:49

GargoyleMT wrote: It is a bug. But when I had a (more) dynamic IP, my solution was to make use of a dynamic host name.
So i can just use my ****.serveftp.net (dyndns adress) instead of an IP? brilliant.
GargoyleMT wrote: This is a cleaner solution, unless changing the ports is somehow integral to your problem?
Yeah, my router is kinda flaky.. either that, or my ISP closes ports at random.. but sometimes downloads stops, and all connections times out, and a change of ports helps immediately.

but thank you. both for the link, and the tip.