Reconnecting closed connections

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

lordadmira

Reconnecting closed connections

Post by lordadmira » 2006-06-16 10:54

When I am dl'ing a file and close that connection and then immediately select that person and hit force attempt, it won't reconnect. Even if that person has free slots. It has to wait a minute. I want to do this so I can start dl'ing a higher priority file from that person. Can some provision be made for the client to accept new connections from u immediately after a connection is closed. Or for retasking the current slot for another file.

LA
Anata ga baka da! Repent!

eMTee

Post by eMTee » 2006-06-19 13:03

Real problem. And its just more problematic in a client which has no multisource function (also affects multisource clients tough)
I go further : there will be excellent to have a righclick menu in the transfers frame like 'Switch to next item in the queue'. Using this with priority settings in the queue can eliminate one of the most annoying problem of keeping the dl slots (what lordadmira described) :
No loss of (sometimes awfully long awaited) download slot if
  • someone want to get another file sooner than what is beeing downloaded
  • after a while (preview,...) user wants to delete the currecnt (unnecessary) download and continue with another file
from the same source.
Also a nice solution what they actually did in some mod : they have written an event handler for the change of priority settings so it changes the actually downloaded file to another according the set priority without droping the connection.
Everyone's got their opinions - They'll tell ya 'bout 'em all the time... /* Spock's Beard */

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Reconnecting closed connections

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-06-19 21:40

lordadmira wrote:Even if that person has free slots. It has to wait a minute.
I'm pretty sure I don't have this problem. Are you sure it's a minute? Are you sure it isn't a slow source that thinks you're still connected?

Can any of the moderators confirm/deny this behavior?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-06-19 21:42

eMTee wrote:without droping the connection.
This isn't possible, usually. Segmented download clients can pull this off because of the chunk size - they will just switch files on the next chunk (or they've implemented an unsupported Client to Client command). With normal downloads, you cannot abort a transfer without closing it.

eMTee

Post by eMTee » 2006-06-20 02:38

GargoyleMT wrote:With normal downloads, you cannot abort a transfer without closing it.
You're right. Actually it changes the download when the current chunk is finished. Its clear now why this function can't be implemented in DC++
Everyone's got their opinions - They'll tell ya 'bout 'em all the time... /* Spock's Beard */

lordadmira

Re: Reconnecting closed connections

Post by lordadmira » 2006-06-20 08:42

GargoyleMT wrote:I'm pretty sure I don't have this problem. Are you sure it's a minute? Are you sure it isn't a slow source that thinks you're still connected?
I didn't time it but it's atleast 30 seconds before I can get back onto a person with open slots. When I hit Force Attempt on the demised transfer it immediately says Connection Closed. As if the other side is "still processing" my close command. I don't recall the transfer rate being slow. I think I picked it to retask because it was fast.

P.S.: A curse be on all segmenters.
Anata ga baka da! Repent!