"It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

SubversiveAgent

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Post by SubversiveAgent » 2006-05-15 07:15

I finally got off my lazy ass and decided to join bugzilla to put up some suggestions. After a few moments using it, here are some suggestions on bugzilla itself:

I) An engineer made it.
Which means it's a) technically functional, b) visually horrible and c) lacking simplicity in it's use (though the engineer will say otherwise, to him it all makes *perfect* sense)

A more user friendly interface please. (No, I don't know to do it. Yes I shouldn't criticise then. Yes thousands have used it with no complaints. Yes I will roll over and die. Any moment now.)

II) Bugs bugs everywhere!
I don't want to submit a bug, I want to submit a feature request! But it seems feature requests are bugs too. Very negative from a mental standpoint, confusion generating from a database standpoint. Unless I misunderstood? Isnt' Bugzilla where you're supposed to enter feature requests?

II) "Requester/Assign to" and "Requestee"
I know I'm the Requestee, but who the hell am I going to "requestrate" to have my suggestions implemented? God?

III) Component
Any chance of a "other" option? Sometimes things just don't fit into their proper boxes (did I mention an engineer designed this?)

IV) Bug writing guidelines
In the true spirit of the annoying user, only after typing the above did I read the bug writing guidelines. Strangely enough, the word "engineer" pops up alot. I wonder why ;)
I want your slot.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Re: "It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2006-05-15 07:57

You have some very valid points but might it not be more appropriate to address them at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org or thereabouts?
SubversiveAgent wrote:III) Component
Any chance of a "other" option? Sometimes things just don't fit into their proper boxes (did I mention an engineer designed this?)
There is already an "Other" option.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-05-15 08:31

Select 'Enhancement' as 'Severity' to mark it as a feature request.

SubversiveAgent

Post by SubversiveAgent » 2006-05-15 09:55

TheParanoidOne wrote:You have some very valid points but might it not be more appropriate to address them at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org or thereabouts?
Well... yes. But...

I hate registering. I hate having to register on a hub so I can do downloads. I don't hate to register on the DC++ forum, because I think that's reasonable. I DO hate to register on bugzilla and copy/pasting everything I type here to get a feature implemented. And I especially hate having to register on Mozilla so I can complain about Bugzilla whilst complaining on the forum about Bugzilla.

And at this point I have no will left to go back to bugzilla and finding the stuff I wanted to put there in the first place.

(Don't everyone cry at once)

Is there no way to simplify this process? Create a form we can fill out in here or something? Have the voting done here instead?

"Implement segmented transfers", for instance... 4 votes? Regardless of wether it's technically possible (or desirable)... 4 votes? Surely more people in here would vote for (or against) this feature.

I'm just kinda stumped on what makes bugzilla a valuable asset, apart from it being a bit more orderly (yet more complicated) way to process bug reports and new feature requirements that appear in the forum.
I want your slot.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-05-15 12:25

We have a far more organized view in the Bugzilla. We can submit patches, set a particular bug to someone, have a more accurate view on where and how bugs happen. You may not appreciate Bugzilla, but we do.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-05-15 21:00

SubversiveAgent wrote:I'm just kinda stumped on what makes bugzilla a valuable asset, apart from it being a bit more orderly (yet more complicated) way to process bug reports and new feature requirements that appear in the forum.
Bugzilla is not going away, because it makes organizing, categorizing, and duplicate marking of bugs and feature requests easy. Sourceforge had a feature tracker that we used for a long time, and it was sub-par on all of those fronts. Part of bugzilla is its ability to act as a filter. If someone doesn't want to sign up and describe their feature in detail, I'm honestly OK with it falling by the wayside. Most features are suggested multiple times, so someone else will come along and suggest what we "missed out on" because they didn't want to register.

Even in feature suggestions, triage has its place.

lordadmira

Post by lordadmira » 2006-05-17 07:07

SubversiveAgent wrote:II) "Requester/Assign to" and "Requestee"
I know I'm the Requestee, but who the hell am I going to "requestrate" to have my suggestions implemented? God?
Actually ur the requester. The requestee is the person ur making the request of. The -er ending indicates the performer of an action and the -ee ending indicates the recipient of an action. Caller, callee, etc.

While I have the floor let me register my own complaint that bugzilla looks horrible. It's also unusuable without style sheets. It should degrade gracefully with style sheets turned off. All somebody has to do is set a background and a few font parameters.
Anata ga baka da! Repent!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-05-18 21:16

lordadmira wrote:While I have the floor let me register my own complaint that bugzilla looks horrible. It's also unusuable without style sheets. It should degrade gracefully with style sheets turned off. All somebody has to do is set a background and a few font parameters.
This isn't specific to our install of Bugzilla. I'm always upgrading the web applications here(*), so if they come out with a fixed version, I'll install it.

(*) when the host hasn't broken the symlink to the mysql binaries (for running upgrade scripts from a shell)

lordadmira

Post by lordadmira » 2006-05-19 08:36

Well, somebody did something. The black background is gone and it actually looks normal for a change.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-05-19 16:44

lordadmira wrote:Well, somebody did something. The black background is gone and it actually looks normal for a change.
I changed the style sheets a couple weeks ago. So maybe the previous sheets were part of the cause of your angst...

lordadmira

Post by lordadmira » 2006-05-19 17:07

No, I have style sheets turned off. Too many people make a mockery of css and I just got sick of it. So no more css for me. Maybe u changed the theme as well, and it provided some additional HTML formatting.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-05-20 21:59

lordadmira wrote:Maybe u changed the theme as well, and it provided some additional HTML formatting.
I changed the header, but that's hardly a theme. That can't account for the difference in what you're seeing.

lordadmira

Post by lordadmira » 2006-05-21 13:27

The body background is now blank. It used to be black. Black text on blank is far better than black on black.

Pasqualle

Post by Pasqualle » 2006-05-21 15:01

today i tried deskzilla. everyone should try it, just to see what "user friendly" really means. if deskzilla would be a free sotf i would never use the bugzilla web interface again..