Questions at first usage.

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

Pothead

Questions at first usage.

Post by Pothead » 2006-04-22 22:19

A mate of mine suggested this a few hours ago, and i thought it was a good like. Like a setup wizard kind of thingy. e.g.
Asks if Good or Crap pc, and sets thinks like progress bar colours, userlist hiding / showing, max hash speed depending upon the answers.
It might also help people to get active mode setup. :wink:
Good idea / bad idea (i liked it, hence i propose it) :)

imb

Post by imb » 2006-04-23 07:16

I think something like that is necessary, I gather a lot of people give up with DC++ because they can't figure out how to get it working. Which is a shame because it's really not that complicated.

Quattro

Post by Quattro » 2006-04-23 07:48

looks like this is a good idea,
it should be possible for DC++ to open for example portforward.com on demand, let's say: "you want help setting up active mode? yes or no."
and more stuff like that.
You can send a message around the world in 1/7 of a second; yet it may take several years to move a simple idea through a 1/4 inch of human skull.

imb

Post by imb » 2006-04-23 10:44

Or even harass them to get into active mode each time they start up DC++, until they untick a check box.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-04-23 11:30

A configuration wizard is a good thing.

I'd stick with making them fill out their nick and connection type, as well as firewall. I'd specifically leave out opening the public hub list or prompting for favorite hubs -- although they both would arguably be important for first-time users.

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2006-04-25 19:46

maybe it would also be a good idea to have a check whether the active mode is working or not, so that the user immediately sees that he's not active, instead of having to go to this forum asking why downloads don't work (or give up and stop using dc)

the wizard could also give information why active mode couldn't be established, and what the possible solutions are

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-04-25 20:00

Wisp wrote:maybe it would also be a good idea to have a check whether the active mode is working or not
How?

Pothead

Post by Pothead » 2006-04-26 05:38

Why all this conern about Active / Passive. It's really easy to setup.
Potheads normal copy paste answer to active wrote: open a port for TCP and UDP access in firewall / router and put that port number in the Port Box for Active Mode in DC++ Connection Settings
If they are incapable of doing or understanding that, well, that's all the help i am willing to give people to get them active.

The original suggestion was mainly Good / Crap pc question. Others like GargoyleMT mentioned would also be useful.
I suppose also a "do you like popup's question" for the 2 Open in background settings. :)
GargoyleMT wrote:I'd specifically leave out opening the public hub list or prompting for favorite hubs -- although they both would arguably be important for first-time users.
Well thinking how to do the setup wizard, it'll probably be best as sommit in startup, which detects the absence of DCplusplus.xml, and loads up the setup thingy, waits for Finish to be clicked, before allowing DC++ to open normally. Then maybe just opening the public hublist window. Or maybe just turning on the "open Public hublist frame at statup" option. :)

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2006-04-26 07:54

I seem to recall Azureus having a fairly nice wizard style setup screen at startup, including checking whether a port has been forwarded correctly.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

bastya_elvtars

Post by bastya_elvtars » 2006-04-26 14:26

I second the idea.
Hey you, / Don't help them to bury the light... / Don't give in / Without a fight. (Pink Floyd)

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2006-04-26 19:47

eMule has that too, the only problem is putting a script up on a server somewhere that's reliable enough so it doesn't give false negatives when not available and sturdy enough to not be a pain in the ass to protect from abuse. I tried it a few months ago but I don't have a host with socket libraries available.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-04-27 04:17

I doubt it can be on the server as the forum/bugzilla etc is on, considering what previously happened with having version.xml...

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2006-04-27 07:22

ullner wrote:I doubt it can be on the server as the forum/bugzilla etc is on, considering what previously happened with having version.xml...
The volume of first time starts is probably significantly less than general starts, so that might not be a problem.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-04-27 07:26

True. Though, according to SF's stats, DC++ has 13-15000 downloads each day. That is still a lot. (I don't know if that is or not too much though.)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-04-27 17:22

Even if I could (I suspect I cannot), I don't want to host such a tool here on this domain. This host has been good, but I'm having some problems that keep me from running some of the wiki maintenance scripts or upgrading web packages from the shell.

I'm sure a dedicated server would let me set up a port check tool of some sort, but I don't want to dedicate (much) more of my monthly income to my hobby than I already do.

Theoretically, I love the idea. I proposed something similar to be included in ADC. It's just not practical at the moment.

bastya_elvtars

Post by bastya_elvtars » 2006-04-27 17:47

GargoyleMT wrote:I'm sure a dedicated server would let me set up a port check tool of some sort
I don't know how much burden it would introduce on the hub (i. e. that should check the ports, like in the ed2k network.) I have written such a tool, but that checks for the availability of the port on every active search/CTM. It is still something to make a baseline with, so I will try & test it.
Hey you, / Don't help them to bury the light... / Don't give in / Without a fight. (Pink Floyd)

CrazyGuy

Post by CrazyGuy » 2006-07-23 08:34

I support the idea of a setup wizard as well.
Actually some parts of it are already being developed now if I understood correctly.
A tool to check wether a port is opened or not is recently developped, so we do have a possibility to check wether users successfully opened a port.
The portforward.com website should be included as it is an updated db of currently available routers and even comes with screenshots.
But not just the 5 different connection options should be explained.
Also certain basics can easily be included such as "How to search", "what are Favorites", maybe even "Choosing a nickname" . Even screenshots can be included in this as well.Really step-by-step and give the option to the user to disable the wizard.

[X] I am Bill Gates' cousin and invented U-PnP, I do not need this wizard

:wink:
Maybe a Tip-Of-The-Day option can be included too.
Explain some of the terminalogy in that. What is P2P ? What is U-PnP ? What can cause connection timeouts ? etc etc . a Section called "Easier done than said" because for most of those things that goes 8)

Greetz, :wink:
CG