report this IP to server

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

olmari

Post by olmari » 2006-03-27 14:58

I'd like to see in relation to this discussion, that one could put "report this IP to server" option in favourite hubs. That is because we have few hubs in LAN area and then ofcourse all "internet" hubs there are I'd like to use at the same time, which isn't possible currently.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-03-29 11:53

olmari wrote:I'd like to see in relation to this discussion, that one could put "report this IP to server" option in favourite hubs. That is because we have few hubs in LAN area and then ofcourse all "internet" hubs there are I'd like to use at the same time, which isn't possible currently.
There were changes at one time for DC++ to pick the IP from the connection, so if the hubs were connected from different local IPs, it would report the proper IP to the hub. Since you're suggesting essentially that feature, I think it must have become broken at some point. But reimplementing it that way is better (since it is automatic) than your suggestion, in my opinion.

olmari

Post by olmari » 2006-03-30 09:51

GargoyleMT wrote:
olmari wrote:I'd like to see in relation to this discussion, that one could put "report this IP to server" option in favourite hubs. That is because we have few hubs in LAN area and then ofcourse all "internet" hubs there are I'd like to use at the same time, which isn't possible currently.
There were changes at one time for DC++ to pick the IP from the connection, so if the hubs were connected from different local IPs, it would report the proper IP to the hub. Since you're suggesting essentially that feature, I think it must have become broken at some point. But reimplementing it that way is better (since it is automatic) than your suggestion, in my opinion.
Well, I haven't tried tp "toy around" with this long time, but now I tried and DC++ indeed has this automatic feature... Only that it seems to report kinda randomly it's IP... Local hubs gets allways local IP, but internet-hubs gets IP kinda on lottery... same hub allways gets same IP, but there is no logic what hub gets what IP reported...

While automation would be cool if it works perfectly, but I bet we never get to the situation it does do that? Why not have also manual reporting like I stated?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-03-31 08:19

olmari wrote:Local hubs gets allways local IP, but internet-hubs gets IP kinda on lottery...
That sounds like a bug. What does your ipconfig /all look like? You can check your route to each hub (I don't want to see that).
olmari wrote:Why not have also manual reporting like I stated?
Wouldn't fixing the bug would make more sense?

olmari

Post by olmari » 2006-03-31 08:27

GargoyleMT wrote:
olmari wrote:Local hubs gets allways local IP, but internet-hubs gets IP kinda on lottery...
That sounds like a bug. What does your ipconfig /all look like? You can check your route to each hub (I don't want to see that).
You'll see my ipconfig anyways :wink:

Code: Select all

Ethernet-sovitin Giganen: [Local]

Yhteyskohtainen DNS-liite . . . . :
        IP-osoite . . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.108.xxx.xxx
        Aliverkon peite . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
        Oletusyhdyskäytävä. . . . . . . . :

PPP-sovitin CampusBaana: [Internet, PPPoE]

Yhteyskohtainen DNS-liite . . . . :
        IP-osoite . . . . . . . . . . . . : 82.128.xxx.xxx
        Aliverkon peite . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
        Oletusyhdyskäytävä. . . . . . . . : 82.128.xxx.xxx
GargoyleMT wrote:
olmari wrote:Why not have also manual reporting like I stated?
Wouldn't fixing the bug would make more sense?
Ofcourse, but can we make absolutely sure it will allways work?
Last edited by olmari on 2006-03-31 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-03-31 08:39

olmari wrote:You'll see my ipconfig anyways :wink:
It was the contents of 'tracert' that I didn't want to see.
olmari wrote:Ofcourse, but can we make absolutely sure it will allways work?
Nothing is ever certain. But I know the chaos that will cause when users misconfigure any option, as I've had to deal with all sorts of them over the years. I'd rather not have an option like that when an automatic one will handle it.

I suspect that you can prevent the randomness of the IP reporting by modifying your routing table to use a specific NIC for the hubs that are... odd. I suspect that the traffic is travelling over the wrong NIC/VPN in that case.