Favourite searches.

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

Pothead

Favourite searches.

Post by Pothead » 2006-03-02 08:33

Sometimes there is something you are looking for which you never get any search replys for. So once every few weeks / months (when you remember) you run a search for it. And if you are very lucky, a source sometimes turns up. Which is nice.
So would a list of "favourite searches" be useful (with an auto queue option), where if Auto search is enabled (or this could have it's own option), as well as searching for alternative sources, it will also search for sommit you've been looking for, for a long time. ?
(So a bit like how ADLSearch works, except it actively goes out looking for sources, instead of checking filelists which are downloaded.)

Carraya

Post by Carraya » 2006-03-02 08:44

I love the idea... But but Pot you should be able to do it yourself :)
<random funny comment>

Pothead

Post by Pothead » 2006-03-02 09:06

Carraya wrote:I love the idea... But but Pot you should be able to do it yourself :)
Yup, i'm just suggesting it, to get a general idea if it's a good idea, and worth my time doing, or a bad idea, and not bother.

And also any suggestions / improvments / problems to be careful of would be welcome. :)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-03-02 11:52

It's a nice idea, but if it's an automatic search, I don't think it's a good idea. A window that has the all the search parameters and lets you start a search from them would save some of the effort, and not put undue strain on hubs due to additional searches.

Pothead

Post by Pothead » 2006-03-02 20:03

GargoyleMT wrote:It's a nice idea, but if it's an automatic search, I don't think it's a good idea. A window that has the all the search parameters and lets you start a search from them would save some of the effort, and not put undue strain on hubs due to additional searches.
I was thinking automatic, but as this is for ideally for rare stuff, the searches don't have to be as often as normal auto searches. I was thinking something like one every 30 minutes or maybe just cycle through the list in it once a day. Either way it shouldn't be that much strain. :)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-03-03 11:50

I don't know if I'd dismiss it that easily, given how much some of the hub writers complain about broadcast traffic. (Even if it's a minor increase, or no increase, it's better if you know that going in.) (The increase would depend on if the user has alternate searching online, the size of their queue, the number of sources in queue, and the number of online searches in their queue. Definitely a lot of variables. But compared to my couple of searches a week, any automatic background searching would be a huge percentage increase.)

Anyhow, make sure you look in the Archived Feature Requests - I think SoulSeek has a similar feature and people requested it in the past. That might give you some design ideas.

Pothead

Post by Pothead » 2006-06-19 05:54

Thanks for the tip, some interesting suggestions for Notification, hehe the part i'm trying to figure out how to do now. :?

* Sidenote *
I figured a 7 hourly interval between starting autosearch would be best, so that over a week period, it will preform a search on each hour. (It'll also wait at least 5 mins between each search, checks to see if a manual search has been preformed recently and also block "Autosearch for alternative download locations").

imb

Post by imb » 2006-06-19 10:36

Why not restrict the amount of simultaneous auto searches if you want to reduce the strain on hubs. ie no more than 10, and maybe restrict the amount of search results per auto search to say 100, then it wont search anymore.
"Every Englishman must have a hobby. Some like to collect the stamp, some like to make the jam, but the most fun is to a kill a little animal with a shotgun or rip them up with wild dog."

Pothead

Post by Pothead » 2006-06-19 19:14

imb wrote:Why not restrict the amount of simultaneous auto searches if you want to reduce the strain on hubs. ie no more than 10, and maybe restrict the amount of search results per auto search to say 100, then it wont search anymore.
I figure 5 mins between each autosearch, and waiting another 7 hours after the last search shouldn't be too much strain. But i like your idea about stopping searching, after x amount of search results. :) That's one to try to remember. :)

Main problem is a nice way to notify the user of search results. :?

Pothead

Post by Pothead » 2006-08-11 11:48

Eventually moved it to the dcplusplus.rc file and all the other changes i've had to do.
Please comment. :)
One bug i know of is if there is that with no autosearches in it, and if you run a search while it's in the "time period" it will list results from that search.
Also not entirely sure if i put the BlockAutoSearchForAlternatives bool in the best place.
http://www.freetohost.co.uk/mike/Autosearch.rar