Conversion of fav-sites/users missing...

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

HansNoren

Conversion of fav-sites/users missing...

Post by HansNoren » 2006-02-15 18:02

I've installed AND uninstalled the newest 0.686 version...
It seems you have to start from scratch with setting up folders etc.
Is there an upgrade (a version that can read settings from a pre 0.686 version) availible in the future? At least the settings that exists in both versions...
... or is it something I've missed when I installed the new version?
Suggestions anyone?
/Hans

Quattro

Post by Quattro » 2006-02-16 06:22

it can't be converted as it will miss data that is needed for your queue...
like: a user was defined by nickname only before, now it is defined by nickname + hub.

older versions will lack the hubinfo...
You can send a message around the world in 1/7 of a second; yet it may take several years to move a simple idea through a 1/4 inch of human skull.

HansNoren

Post by HansNoren » 2006-02-16 06:39

a user was defined by nickname only before, now it is defined by nickname + hub
Ok. But what about the hubs themself and the shared folders?
And If a nickname (old favorite) is active on one hub, why not ask if that is the nick you ment. At least leave a gray row in the table (deleteable when found), so it is possible to manually search for the favorite users and match it on a hub.
Maybe a screendump/printout can fix that, but anyway for a lot of people it's not easy (uninstalling, finding the old version, checking, reinstalling and later entering the old settings again)...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-02-16 18:41

HansNoren wrote:And If a nickname (old favorite) is active on one hub, why not ask if that is the nick you ment.
Favorite users are loaded much earlier in the startup process than connecting to hubs, so doing what you want would be difficult.

HansNoren

Post by HansNoren » 2006-02-17 03:18

so doing what you want would be difficult.
Why? The only thing that may be difficult is to wait and check the old nicknames till the hubs has refreshed its online users. If a nick from the old list is found matching, ask to add that user. If no match is found after some time, delete the gray lines from the old fav.userlist. Loading the shared directory/folderlist and fav hubs, has been done before - just save them in the new format.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-02-17 11:45

HansNoren wrote:Why? The only thing that may be difficult is to wait and check the old nicknames till the hubs has refreshed its online users.
Yes. DC++ would have to keep the nicknames somewhere, then guess when you were finished connecting to all your online hubs, and then push something from the back end up to the GUI to prompt you. And I'm sure you wouldn't want your old-favorites to be lost between sessions, so you'd want DC++ to store the nick-only list somewhere and save it, probably until you found a match. That is a lot of work, despite what you think. If you're a programmer, feel free to prove me wrong by submitting a patch to that effect.

You can often make things sound simpler than they are by the way you talk. Or by not knowing what you'd actually have to do to make the change. I don't blame you for wanting the feature. But if it was easy, it would've been done.