Search for alternates by Name

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

msyit

Search for alternates by Name

Post by msyit » 2006-01-10 18:06

Hi,

Before version 0.670 it was possible to Search for alternates either by name or by TTH, but since 0.670 this was removed, and now you can only search by TTH if there is one.

Search for alternates by name was very useful specially if you couldn't find alternativs with the same TTH. For some reason the same file could have a different TTH on different users.

Anyway, is it possible to add an extra option to the context menu of the download file list, to Search for alternates by name also, as well as TTH.

Thank you.

[NL]Pur
Programmer

Post by [NL]Pur » 2006-01-10 18:17

if the TTH is different then the content of the file is different.

msyit

Post by msyit » 2006-01-10 18:26

Thanks for the reply, and yes you are correct on that [NL]Pur but this has always been very usefull to find other versions of the same file which more users had them.

I think it would be a very useful option to have. It cannot be too dificult to add it, since it was already there before version 0.670 :)

Thanks.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-01-10 18:30

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-01-10 18:41

msyit wrote:It cannot be too dificult to add it, since it was already there before version 0.670 :)
Finding files with different TTHes would not be of any use to you - DC++ will not let you add a source with a different TTH, DC++ requests the file by TTH not filename, and the resume now checks a resumed file's contents to ensure they match the TTH.

Searching for alternates by TTH will not miss any potential sources - searching by name generates more results, but not more sources.

msyit

Post by msyit » 2006-01-11 15:29

Sorry ullner I'm new here, I'll search first in the future. However I could not find this feature in 0.68 (which I think is the latest version); am I missing something or has this feature not been added back in yet?

Thanks.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-01-11 15:49

Did you even read the link I posted? Or GargoyleMT's response? So you won't miss it: http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=195

msyit

Post by msyit » 2006-01-11 16:07

Yes ullner I had read all of it before I posted, as I said I'm new here, all I wanted to know if it was done, a simple "No" would have been fine.

Anyway, I took a closer look and I can see that the status is set to NEW, so it's unresolved.

Thank you very much for every body's responce, and I look forward to seeing this feature in the future versions.

Finally, I just like to say that DC++ is absolutely brilliant, I haven't used Kazaa since I've discoved this two years ago, keep up the good work :)

Thanks again.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-01-11 16:15

Just because the status is 'New', doesn't mean someone will actually provide code for it or that is will absolutely be in later versions of DC++.

Having that said, I'm inclined to close the feature request. There is no ground for the feature.

msyit

Post by msyit » 2006-01-11 18:00

Hi ullner,

Why do you want to close it, looking at the bug report I'm not the only one requesting it, others have asked for it as well.

Also, this feature existed in version 0.668, so I'm sure it's just a matter of putting the code back in, and it shouldn't take too much dev time. Having the feature doesn't hurt anything :)

please put this feature back in, thanks.

bastya_elvtars

Post by bastya_elvtars » 2006-01-11 19:48

If I search on DC I always find more files using TTH than I used to without it.
Hey you, / Don't help them to bury the light... / Don't give in / Without a fight. (Pink Floyd)

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2006-01-12 02:18

msyit wrote:Also, this feature existed in version 0.668, so I'm sure it's just a matter of putting the code back in, and it shouldn't take too much dev time. Having the feature doesn't hurt anything :)
Having a built-in Tetris game in DC++ wouldn't hurt anything either, but why would we want to bloat it with worthless features? You don't seem to understand that you won't gain anything by being able to search for alternates by the filename, since they can't be added anyway.

msyit

Post by msyit » 2006-01-12 07:17

There are times when a file addend to the download queue has only 1 or very few users with that file (which might take a very long time to download), but the same file (which differs in a very small amount, but enough to have a different TTH), may have much more users associated with it.

Now, I know DC++ doesn't allow you to add a file with different TTH to the download queue, but what I've done in the past is to delete the old file (which has not yet started to download, or a small amount of it downloaded), from my download queue, and then re-add the new file which has more users, and by doing so saved myself hours if not days of waiting for a file to download.

This is a very useful option to have, and from dev point of view, the code would only use a fraction more resources (if any) since all it needs to do is pass the filename to the search engine instead of the TTH, and as I said before the code was in their in previous versions so the coding should not take too long.

I'm not the only one requesting this, if you look at bug report #195 then you'll see others have also requested it.

Thanks.

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2006-01-12 07:19

Hurrah for popular demand for file corruption.

vellu

Post by vellu » 2006-01-12 08:11

@msyit

Do you not check which file has the most sources when you initially start a download? That's what I do; I do a search, a name search (which is basically what you need), get results, browse to tth section and arrange the results by tth and pick the one that has most sources available.

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2006-01-12 11:38

I think some people don't understand the feature request. Searching by name could be usefull to find other, similar files. They don't need to be added as source, but they can be added to the download queue as seperate file in case this file has more sources or better quality.

So the feature could be usefull to search for other files, while the current feature is usefull for searching for other sources of the same file.

bastya_elvtars

Post by bastya_elvtars » 2006-01-12 11:48

So you want an option like 'Search similar' or whatever it was in Kazaa?
Hey you, / Don't help them to bury the light... / Don't give in / Without a fight. (Pink Floyd)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-01-12 13:19

msyit wrote:Also, this feature existed in version 0.668, so I'm sure it's just a matter of putting the code back in, and it shouldn't take too much dev time. Having the feature doesn't hurt anything :)
You made this same point before, and I rebuted it. See:
GargoyleMT wrote:
msyit wrote:It cannot be too dificult to add it, since it was already there before version 0.670 :)
Finding files with different TTHes would not be of any use to you - DC++ will not let you add a source with a different TTH, DC++ requests the file by TTH not filename, and the resume now checks a resumed file's contents to ensure they match the TTH.

Searching for alternates by TTH will not miss any potential sources - searching by name generates more results, but not more sources.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-01-12 13:21

Wisp wrote:So the feature could be usefull to search for other files, while the current feature is usefull for searching for other sources of the same file.
Then use a manual search when you need to do that. The auto-search by TTH is going to consume a lot less CPU time on all other clients.

msyit

Post by msyit » 2006-01-12 14:07

I'm sorry if I've confused people about what I meant originally; I didn't mean that DC++ should use the filename instead of TTH when it does a auto-search to find more sources.

You are all absolutely correct TTH would be better and more efficient for this purpose.

What I meant for is what GargoyleMT sort of suggested in his last post, which is basically an option on the download context menu, that works in a similar way to "Search for alternates", and when clicked, would populate the search screen with the name and size of the file selected within the download menu.

This would be a manual operation and only happen when it is requested by the user, so that we don't have to keep typing the filename every time we want to search for other files with the same name and size.

Currently DC++ works this way for files that don't have TTH, so I just want an option to be able to do this operation for files for TTH as well (but manually).

I hope this further clarifies my request.

Thanks.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-01-12 14:28

msyit wrote:What I meant for is what GargoyleMT sort of suggested in his last post, which is basically an option on the download context menu, that works in a similar way to "Search for alternates", and when clicked, would populate the search screen with the name and size of the file selected within the download menu.
I'm against that. Specifying a file name and size means you're trying to make an end-run around TTHes - only corrupted files would possibly have the same size and file name but different TTH.

If you want to find alternate versions of things you're downloading, manually search using the same term you used originally.

msyit wrote:Currently DC++ works this way for files that don't have TTH, so I just want an option to be able to do this operation for files for TTH as well (but manually).
We used to have two menu choices that were confusingly similar. One worked the way you wanted, and one searched by TTH for files that had one. That made no sense at the time, and still doesn't make any sense.

msyit

Post by msyit » 2006-01-12 17:40

Well, it may not make sence in most cases, but there have been times that I have found it very usefull, and as for the confusing part, then the name of the option can be chosen in such way that doesn't cause confusion.

As for typeing the original search string, having the option to do it automatically make life very simpler that having to type in the name and then the size and etc.

As I said in my previous posts, looking at bug #195, I'm not the only one requesting this.

And I don't understand why are you all so set against it, if the option exists, then it doesn't mean you have to use it. Those who only want the TTH, then only use the TTH and not this option. But if the option is there then people who want to use it, can.

I'm not asking for a major change to the way the program works, I'm only asking for an option that used to be there to be put back (and I don;'t weant the auto-search to use the name, it should be manual), as have other people. I hope this will change you mind.

P.S. I'm forced to still use the 0.667 version because this has been removed from the later versions.

Thanks.

Jove

Post by Jove » 2006-01-12 22:28

Why don't you just remove the file from your download queue and search for the filename again? Then be sure to choose the TTH with the most sources. (sort on TTH?)

It will accomplish the same as what you want without adding this feature.

Should this feature be implemented, the search results would be worthless to you since you cannot add them without deleting the previous download from your queue. If this feature is not implemented, you can search for versions with different TTH by removing the previous download from your queue.

What you have to do is the same and the result is the same with or without the feature. So why should the feature be added?

[NL]Pur
Programmer

Post by [NL]Pur » 2006-01-13 05:20

I'll try to explain it with animals

If you have a cow with a label cow
and a dog with a label cow.

In your case by only looking at the name they both would be a cow. This could result in having a dogcow with a label cow.

In our case by only looking at the TTH, we have chopped the cow and dog into pieces and comparing them. If all the pieces match we can say both are the same, if 1 piece isn't then it's no match.
Since we aren't fooled by the false label on the dog. The dog and cow won't ever become a dogcow.

msyit

Post by msyit » 2006-01-13 06:32

Jove, I want the feature because I don't want to remove the file, until I know I have found one with better sources.

[NL]Pur, I am a programmer as well, you don't need animals to explain.

I understand what you are all saing, and I do agree with parts of it, but I also think this feature is usefull when you don't want to search with TTH.

Like I said before, just because the feature is there doesn't mean you have to use it if you don't want to, but if the feature is missing then you can not use it if you want to.

This feature was there in previous versions and the current version still uses this feature for files that don't have TTH, so the code that does this is still in the module. The only extra thing that need to be done is to add an extra context menu option and call the function that does this from the menu option. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do.

Thanks.

[NL]Pur
Programmer

Post by [NL]Pur » 2006-01-13 07:11

I know for certain it's removed on purpose.
btw Non reasons whould be: it's only 10 minutes to add , and it was in the previous version.

msyit

Post by msyit » 2006-01-13 08:17

Are there any help or guide on how to compile the source code for DC++; I have the source code and I just wanted to know if anything other than Visual C++ was needed to compile and link this program.

If so, then I can add the option and use it as my personal version, and it will not effect any one else.

Thank you.

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2006-01-13 08:47

There is a file called compile.txt which comes with the sourcecode. Instructions for how to compile is in that file.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2006-01-13 08:47

msyit wrote:Are there any help or guide on how to compile the source code for DC++; I have the source code and I just wanted to know if anything other than Visual C++ was needed to compile and link this program.
Compile.txt in the source release should give you an overview of what you need.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

msyit

Post by msyit » 2006-01-13 09:56

Thank You.